Turbo's Aquatics Algae Scrubbers: Rev 5 Status & Rev 4 Availability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a delay on Rev 4 but it's not related to any of these shipping issues going on, just that it's taking longer than anticipated to get the LED boards to the front of the production queue. I was going to make a set of Rev 4 units with the old/current LED boards, but that was so far behind in the queue that the new components showed up (and those were actually early, shocker) so I ditched that plan and all rev 4 units from now forward will have the new LED board design (Gen 3)

Bbart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking in to see if you are still targeting June for a release date.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Futurama Reaction GIF

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I've been silent folks - it's been a struggle lately getting things done in general

The short version is that I had to put Rev 5 on hold due to an issue with the new LED board design. Samples worked fine when we were initially developing the design, but once we ran a few production sets, something wasn't right. It has taken months to get answers from the manufacturer but I believe we have solved the issue, but it put up a huge red flag because if I needed to change the design, that could have cascaded down to changes on other parts so I had to slam on the brakes.

That mean production of the new heat sinks and plastic parts is on hold, and that is another issue because lead times on those parts have gone from a few weeks to months.

Rev 5 release date is pushing back to late summer at best, likely mid-fall. It sucks, but I'm making 1000% sure this version is done right and there are no surprises. The good news is that I've got access to an SLA 3D printer so all of my parts designs will now be fully vetted in house before going to the mold & die making stage. That also means I'll be able to show you better teasers pretty soon.

The LED board issue also has an impact on the quantity of available Rev 4 units as I was planning to start using the new LED boards in the ding/dent Rev 4 units. Instead, I am making as many units as I can using the old design. The problem with that is that 1) the driver chip I was using is no longer in production (after being a standby product for 30 years) and 2) I bought the last available reel of Luxeon Deep Red LEDs in the entire US and there won't be any more available until November. The new LED board uses a different brand LED so the supply chain is (knock on wood) not an issue.

Other good news is that I have part-time staff knocking out Rev 4 parts, I have a small supply of the current LED boards in hand (that also took several months longer than anticipated), and Rev 4 ding/dent units are going to finally start shipping soon.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I've been silent folks - it's been a struggle lately getting things done in general

The short version is that I had to put Rev 5 on hold due to an issue with the new LED board design. Samples worked fine when we were initially developing the design, but once we ran a few production sets, something wasn't right. It has taken months to get answers from the manufacturer but I believe we have solved the issue, but it put up a huge red flag because if I needed to change the design, that could have cascaded down to changes on other parts so I had to slam on the brakes.

That mean production of the new heat sinks and plastic parts is on hold, and that is another issue because lead times on those parts have gone from a few weeks to months.

Rev 5 release date is pushing back to late summer at best, likely mid-fall. It sucks, but I'm making 1000% sure this version is done right and there are no surprises. The good news is that I've got access to an SLA 3D printer so all of my parts designs will now be fully vetted in house before going to the mold & die making stage. That also means I'll be able to show you better teasers pretty soon.

The LED board issue also has an impact on the quantity of available Rev 4 units as I was planning to start using the new LED boards in the ding/dent Rev 4 units. Instead, I am making as many units as I can using the old design. The problem with that is that 1) the driver chip I was using is no longer in production (after being a standby product for 30 years) and 2) I bought the last available reel of Luxeon Deep Red LEDs in the entire US and there won't be any more available until November. The new LED board uses a different brand LED so the supply chain is (knock on wood) not an issue.

Other good news is that I have part-time staff knocking out Rev 4 parts, I have a small supply of the current LED boards in hand (that also took several months longer than anticipated), and Rev 4 ding/dent units are going to finally start shipping soon.
Any news on Rev 5? Or what's happening with Rev 4?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still one thing after another getting in the way of finalizing everything. For me it's a good thing, because my consulting engineering business has always been the bill-payer and I landed a couple big projects. That means time pulled away from everything else, but when those jobs cool off I will have a solid block of time to dedicate to building scrubbers (and one of those jobs cools off by next week)

I have the 3rd generation LED boards in hand but have not had time to fully test them. My lead time on some parts has become insane so I've given up on actually having a firm release date for Rev 5 at this point. Shooting for Spring.

Rev 4 units will start going out in volume in the next 2 weeks.

Not the best news but not the worst either.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Universal voltage. Since amperage is dependent on voltage, I'll give you wattage: roughly 30-35W per board pair. The L2 is one pair, i.e. one board on each side of the algae screen (35W), L4 is 2 pairs (70W), L8 is 4 pairs (140W). Again that is rough, but it won't be more than 35W per pair of LED boards

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Universal voltage. Since amperage is dependent on voltage, I'll give you wattage: roughly 30-35W per board pair. The L2 is one pair, i.e. one board on each side of the algae screen (35W), L4 is 2 pairs (70W), L8 is 4 pairs (140W). Again that is rough, but it won't be more than 35W per pair of LED boards
But is an AC/DC converter needed (like for radions)? I assumed yes, that's why I asked what voltage.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs only work on DC, so pretty much any LED fixture by rule will have an AC to DC conversion at some point. I don't know anything about Radions but my units have always come with a universal power supply. The only thing that might be needed is a plug adapter. Rev 5 units will use a power supply where the input cord can be changed (similar to a laptop power supply)

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs only work on DC, so pretty much any LED fixture by rule will have an AC to DC conversion at some point. I don't know anything about Radions but my units have always come with a universal power supply. The only thing that might be needed is a plug adapter. Rev 5 units will use a power supply where the input cord can be changed (similar to a laptop power supply)
Oh yeah, so I was wondering at what voltage do the LED work at? 24v like radions?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the version. My first 2 versions work a constant current driver. The last 2 worked on a constant voltage power supply with on-board drivers (the LEDs are not driven directly by the power supply). Similarly I assume Radions work on a 24V power supply that internally is converted to a constant current as all LEDs operate based on drive current, not voltage.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the version. My first 2 versions work a constant current driver. The last 2 worked on a constant voltage power supply with on-board drivers (the LEDs are not driven directly by the power supply). Similarly I assume Radions work on a 24V power supply that internally is converted to a constant current as all LEDs operate based on drive current, not voltage.
I just would like to know what is the voltage output of the power supply? I am basically unifying all my power supplies, with DIN rail industrial power supplies, and hardwiring all the equipment (something like this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/post-6475220). I am in list for your rev5, and I wanted to be prepared accounting for the Rev 5 lights, so that I can size my power supplies accordingly.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 3 LED boards went back to the drawing board around Thanksgiving unfortunately. We thought we had the solution, but the tech was not as smart and effective as we thought it was (and that the manufacturer said it was). However this was not a complete setback, and it actually led me to a slightly better and more long-term flexible solution. It would actually allow multiple solutions, meaning, you could dim the LEDs with an RF remote, with a knob, push-buttons, or an external signal (PWM or 0-10V) much more easily and also without changing the lights.

So things are still moving along...but continuing with the "not as fast or as planned" path.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back