Turf algae issue

IL Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with a solid case of green turf algae and have have not used any chemicals and have it slowly dying off. All i did was cut lights to 8 hr days on all blue with 15 % cool white as well as carbon and phosphate remover and after a week its turning white and dying off. Gonna do a second 30 gallon water change for the second time since its dying off to keep nutrients low. Urchin and emerald crabs are eating it but they only controlled it a little bit. Full sps dominant tank so i didnt wanna use chemicals and it seems to be working. Anyone else have luck with doing it like this. Patience and some manual removal is key.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with a solid case of green turf algae and have have not used any chemicals and have it slowly dying off. All i did was cut lights to 8 hr days on all blue with 15 % cool white as well as carbon and phosphate remover and after a week its turning white and dying off. Gonna do a second 30 gallon water change for the second time since its dying off to keep nutrients low. Urchin and emerald crabs are eating it but they only controlled it a little bit. Full sps dominant tank so i didnt wanna use chemicals and it seems to be working. Anyone else have luck with doing it like this. Patience and some manual removal is key.
Your well on track! you can add a few chitons if you want too.

OP
OP
IL Reefer

IL Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the white is the dying algae
20220609_192241.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back