Turf Algae - Should I just use fluconazole?

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been battling green turf algae for a few months in my Waterbox 220.6. I neglected maintenance for awhile last year and ended up with nutrient spikes. That has been more controlled lately, but I obviously know that my nitrate and phosphate levels aren't true numbers due to the turf algae up taking the nutrients. I have since increased my CUC including adding two tuxedo urchins. Manuel removal is difficult for me to do efficiently, I cannot take the rocks out of my tank and it is hard to get most patches in the tank.

I feel like it has gotten too far out of control for my CUC to really get a grasp on this. Do you guys think I am at the point to where I should use fluconazole? I have heard of great success on these forums and other Facebook groups like BRS.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the baby! Looks like you now are having a little more time for the hobby.

That tank looks great for a few months old with the natural cycle of turf algae moving through the current stage of tank life succession(s). Let it ride!
I would add pods to mow the lawn, and maybe some hermit crabs or similar cleaning crew. You have lots of tangs help + urchins and sooner than expected the turf will fade and you will have another issue that needs attention. I wouldn’t rush to add fluc but let the tank mature biologically for a better long term result imo.
I know it’s difficult to not drop the F bomb but I swear you don’t need too.
HTH

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the baby! Looks like you now are having a little more time for the hobby.

That tank looks great for a few months old with the natural cycle of turf algae moving through the current stage of tank life succession(s). Let it ride!
I would add pods to mow the lawn, and maybe some hermit crabs or similar cleaning crew. You have lots of tangs help + urchins and sooner than expected the turf will fade and you will have another issue that needs attention. I wouldn’t rush to add fluc but let the tank mature biologically for a better long term result imo.
I know it’s difficult to not drop the F bomb but I swear you don’t need too.
HTH
Thanks man. So the tank is actually 1 1/2 years old at this time. My goal was to deal with it naturally but watching it get worse these few months makes me so frustrated lol. You think two tuxedo urchins are enough for a 6x2ft tank? I have a bunch of huge mexican turbo snails, trochus snails, and a decent amount of hermits/emeralds. Most don’t seem to touch it. Anything else you think I should add?

It is so tempting to use the fluconazole, I am really trying not to.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I know people say when you have this much algae in your tank to not worry about nitrate and phosphate levels. Are their any goals to levels anyways when going through these kind of algae battles?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fluconasal is an alternative and sometimes a solution.
Best method is to remove rock from tank and place in a container of Tank water and scrape or brush off with a firm toothbrush oor automotive detail brush. Often you can press it hard with your thumb and peel it off in strips/mats
After, return to tank and add 1-2 pencil urchins, some ninja star snails and pitho crabs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did reef flux hd twice and it did nothing to my turf. Urchins and Foxface are what removed mine. Make sure your po4 isn’t too low.

I hear less often that sometimes it does not touch turf. How

Your tank is the epitome of a natural habitat for your tangs, congrats.

Is that a good thing? Lol they do not touch the turf algae at all from my observations haha.

Fluconasal is an alternative and sometimes a solution.
Best method is to remove rock from yank and place in a container of Tank water and scrape or brush off with a firm toothbrush oor automotive detail brush. Often you can press it hard with your thumb and peel it off in strips/mats
After, return to tank and add 1-2 pencil urchins, some ninja star snails and pitho crabs.

I wish I could but my aquascape is semi glued together for stability. You think pencil urchins will do a better job than tuxedos?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Is that a good thing? Lol they do not touch the turf algae at all from my observations haha.

I wish I could but my aquascape is semi glued together for stability. You think pencil urchins will do a better job than tuxedos?
I say pencils which do not grab objects and drag all over the tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. So the tank is actually 1 1/2 years old at this time. My goal was to deal with it naturally but watching it get worse these few months makes me so frustrated lol. You think two tuxedo urchins are enough for a 6x2ft tank? I have a bunch of huge mexican turbo snails, trochus snails, and a decent amount of hermits/emeralds. Most don’t seem to touch it. Anything else you think I should add?

It is so tempting to use the fluconazole, I am really trying not to.

emerald crabs maybe.

I didn’t find fluconazole to be very effective on anything but actual bryopsis. It takes forever to kill off other stuff.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t let your phosphates and nitrates zero out during this episode. Cut your lights intensity and length of time back . Manual removal and a rabbit fish will make a good dent . Keep a eye on your parameters until your tank gets stabilized

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

to answer your how. Not all algae is effected or effected equally. I found this on reef central…

Considering how many different types of algae thier are and we just call them all turf/gha, etc. it is easy to see why it works for some and not others.

8B685E11-4E0C-44BA-9385-4C4BAC006DB1.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t let your phosphates and nitrates zero out during this episode. Cut your lights intensity and length of time back . Manual removal and a rabbit fish will make a good dent . Keep a eye on your parameters until your tank gets stabilized
Rabbits wont touch this and Phosphates are the reason this stuff thickens. Over bright light, poor quality light promotes this type of algae

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer variegated pincushion urchin from your LFS. Generally cheaper, healthier and larger. Tuxedos didn’t really go after it as much. Pencil not reef safe.

I will have to check with my LFS to see if that have any of those urchins. Are urchins compatible with other species, like if I left my tuxedos in and got pincushions?

Definitely not letting them bottom out. Right now my po4 are at 0.08 and my no3 are at 17-18. I have my fox face in there right now that is probably about 6-7 inches big. It does not seem like it touches the turf, or the tangs much for that matter. How can I get them to try to focus on it without starving my achilles tang that I am trying to fatten up?

Mine was worst than yours. I up my CUC add some urchins and used Reef Flux for 2 weeks. All GHA is gone and my CUC keeps it under control. Good luck

I hope this is an outcome for me. What other CUC did you add that actually ate the algae besides the urchins? How much/what would you add to a 180g water volume system?

to answer your how. Not all algae is effected or effected equally. I found this on reef central…

Considering how many different types of algae thier are and we just call them all turf/gha, etc. it is easy to see why it works for some and not others.

8B685E11-4E0C-44BA-9385-4C4BAC006DB1.png

Great read and info. Thanks.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbits wont touch this and Phosphates are the reason this stuff thickens. Over bright light, poor quality light promotes this type of algae
I have a rabbit fish that’s a pig . He thinks he’s Irish cuz he goes after anything green :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol that's awesome. I am jealous, I wish mine would just eat the algae all up.
If you got some kalk (with sodium hydroxide works best) you could just treat them like aiptasia, a few patches each day don’t seem to mess with alkalinity. I got rid of bryopsis this way, but it takes persistence.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back