Turf Algae - Should I just use fluconazole?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard that and been using it off and on for decades.

Obviously you don’t run it at a maxed level and some will monitor the level as well.

But it is rather unstable and quickly breaks down to O2 and O-. Similar to the dreaded H2O2.
And for the record, since so many (others) have decided to pile on over the last day or so, my issue is with the ABSOLUTE statement that:

its also lethal to everything else in your tank.
I categorically disagree that H2O2 is lethal to "EVERYTHING ELSE" in the tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never run ozone and only recall the recommendation to use carbon, not the source. I'll defer to your ozone experience, sir. ;)
I run Ozone.

The reason for the carbon bed after the output of the skimmer is that the byproducts of the highly reactive O3 reaction with water are quite toxic themselves.

The Activated carbon removes those toxic byproducts before they get to the animals in your tank.

Ozone itself is quite toxic to the aquarist too.

Randy wrote an aritcle here.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for the record, since so many (others) have decided to pile on over the last day or so, my issue is with the ABSOLUTE statement that:

I categorically disagree that H2O2 is lethal to "EVERYTHING ELSE" in the tank.
Just to be clear my quip about dreaded H2O2 was sarcasm.
Youre 100% correct it’s not lethal to “everything else”

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Ozone.

The reason for the carbon bed after the output of the skimmer is that the byproducts of the highly reactive O3 reaction with water are quite toxic themselves.

The Activated carbon removes those toxic byproducts before they get to the animals in your tank.

Ozone itself is quite toxic to the aquarist too.

Randy wrote an aritcle here.
The old school way before levels could be monitored was if you can smell it, it’s too much.

Randy discusses the sniff test toward the end of that article.

Seems like that still holds true..

blackbeltmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no luck with fluconazole totally eradicating it. It would partially die off. I also added a Tuxedo Urchin. It ate it all and it hasn't come back.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I would qualify as an expert IMO and I am speaking directly from personal experience you can ignore/discredit if you like but i think very few expert would ever recommend in tank dosage of hydrogen peroxide as a cure. Especially with acropora present~
Dont need to explain yourself to a very insultive , ungrateful lurker. Agree with your insight

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. So I ended up using the reef flux. It has been in my system for 4 weeks and have wiped out the turf algae on the rocks, which ended up being identified as maiden's hair algae.

Should I do my water change now or leave it in until 6 weeks? Also, other than the water change, am I supposed to do anything else to rid the tank of the fluconazole?

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So I am in the process of lowering all my nutrients. Doing a pretty good job but I am starting to see a couple patches of very very brand new hair algae forming and do not want it to get out of control like last time. I do not want to resort to using reef flux again if I can help it. Besides continuing to work on lowering my nutrients, up CUC; what can I do to nip this in the butt? Some of the spots are hard to reach for manual removal.

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a similar looking algae, that has been around for about 6 months, and getting worse.

I tried flux rx. I used the full 7000 mg, since I have a 300 gallon tank, with a 40 gallon sump (close to 350g). I followed the instructions (removed carbon, turned off skimmer for 72 hours, etc). Some of it turned white (not all), but it all came back within a few weeks, and it is as healthy as ever now. I did however put the carbon back in and did some water changes at 72 hours. I am thinking this may be why it didn't die.... Should I try it again? And if so, if it doesn't die after one dose (10-14 days), should I do it again?

I have been spot treating with h202, and it seems to be working, but is very time consuming. I have not seen any adverse effects with the corals, but it may have killed my shrimp. I think it will take me years to get it under control with h202.
No carbon or water for 2-3 weeks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back