Turf and bubble algae

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of a turf and bubble algae problem. Its not out of hand yet but don't want it to be either. What is the best method to get rid of them without causing issues with my coral? I had two emerald crabs that did great for awhile with the bubble algae but one died and feel like the other one is a slacker lol.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked very well for bubble algae for me. I used the lower dose for a while then the higher after about 6 weeks BA was gone. Didn't touch the GHA or turf algae though. Still managing that after a year + but at least no BA return.

There's many recommendations on turf/filamentous algae. Some work for some, none work for all, haven't found my solution yet. My only advice is until you find the solution that works for you, keep up with manual removal as much as you can. When those roots (rhisomes) get in the rock (spread) it's that much harder to remove.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked very well for bubble algae for me. I used the lower dose for a while then the higher after about 6 weeks BA was gone. Didn't touch the GHA or turf algae though. Still managing that after a year + but at least no BA return.

There's many recommendations on turf/filamentous algae. Some work for some, none work for all, haven't found my solution yet. My only advice is until you find the solution that works for you, keep up with manual removal as much as you can. When those roots (rhisomes) get in the rock (spread) it's that much harder to remove.
Yeah I've been thinking of giving vibrant a try but you just dont come across many options when it comes to the turf algae

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked very well for my turf outbreak a few years back. Pics are before and after about 8 week treatment 2X per week. I did get a cyano outbreak during treatment, but that’s easy to siphon off and it quickly subsided. My Kole tang took care of what’s was left on the rocks in the “after” pic. I’m not sure it eats it, but it’s constantly grazing on the rocks removing anything green…. Except for bubble algae.
87386433-A520-4E79-8AA9-E67D31FDAC08.jpeg
BBF9EEE9-59CC-4925-A23B-BCC1FFAF06BF.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back