Turf scrubber instead of chaeto, and could you dose amino acids along with core 7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
been running triton for just about 18 months now, everything running well, although alk is slightly High for me but thats not an issue.
Due to issues with growing chaeto, tried for a year I decided to change to a turf scrubber. Whats your thoughts on this?
secondly
Does anyone does amino acids along with core 7? been thinking about this to give the corals a boost.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amino acids are different than trace elements so you can dose them with core 7. Turf scrubbers are nice. I'm curious, what issues did you run into with chaeto?

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just couldn't grow it. i bought a AI Fuge light, had it tumbling, but probably due to iron or irondine being too low it wasn't growing. about 5 or 6 batches just kept dying off, and i didn't want to does iron etc. i had plently of GHA in the sump, and it took over and grew on the chaeto, so i thought, if i can grow GHA no problem, lets use a scrubber. Did some reasearch, liked what i was reading and built my own. getting good results from it.
I have diald down my turnover from x10 to x2 (long story) so i'm monitoring that.
i have 4 part dosing pump, so i thought about putting 3A & 3B in together and using the 4th pump with amino acids

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. I wonder what went wrong with the chaeto? I think turf scrubbers are neat

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just couldn't grow it. i bought a AI Fuge light, had it tumbling, but probably due to iron or irondine being too low it wasn't growing. about 5 or 6 batches just kept dying off, and i didn't want to does iron etc. i had plently of GHA in the sump, and it took over and grew on the chaeto, so i thought, if i can grow GHA no problem, lets use a scrubber. Did some reasearch, liked what i was reading and built my own. getting good results from it.
I have diald down my turnover from x10 to x2 (long story) so i'm monitoring that.
i have 4 part dosing pump, so i thought about putting 3A & 3B in together and using the 4th pump with amino acids

I know this is an old(ish) thread, but part of your issue is almost definately elevated PO4 causing the GHA to grow to such extents.
Iodine and Iron are very useful, more so Iodine, be careful with iron.
This would have resolved your issues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back