Turn UP the HEAT or BUY MORE HEATERS?!

You notice your aquarium water temp trending down in the colder months what do you do?

• Turn your current heater(s) up to a higher temp?

Votes: 122 25.2%
  • Buy more heaters?

Votes: 191 39.5%
  • Turn up the heat in your house?

Votes: 99 20.5%
  • Other (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 72 14.9%

• Total voters

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my heaters down to 74 in the winter months when the house temps drop to 69 degrees. No ill effects on my fish or corals. My heaters are turned back up to 77 in Spring when house temps are naturally higher.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup. Works great. My Apex graph looks exactly like yours. Question is what is the check valve for? Even with my recirc pump off I dont see any heat leakage coming through the pex.
Also I setup my Ranco a bit differently. My Apex turns on the Ranco Controller which them turns on the the recirc pump. If my Apex temp fails then the Ranco (set two degrees higher than Apex) will turn off the recirc pump. The Ranco retains the temp settings even when its powered off.

The checkvalve prevents water from reversing flow in the loop. Since the hotwater line I am tapped into is used for a bathroom, utility sink and the washing machine its important that the water flows from the intended water line from the house plumbing. Without the checkvalve there is a possibility that when a faucet is turned on that water could flow in reverse on the loop and unintentionally start heating the tank through the pex coil. When I was initially building this setup there were a couple of forum threads aquarium related and general radiant heating related that experienced this issue when a check valve was not in place or became stuck.

My Apex plug is step as an overtemp controller for the Ranco so the outlet is always on unless the system starts to overheat which will command the outlet off which will shutoff the power to the Ranco and recirculation pump.

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QOTD was inspired by this thread!

Today let's talk about heaters, heaters and more heaters for your aquarium! But not just for your aquarium but for your aquarium DURING the winter! So winter comes, it cools down outside and inside and it takes more watts to keep all that water warm! So what do you do? Turn the heaters up, turn the house heat up or buy another heater? Let's talk about it!

1. If you notice your aquarium water temperature trending down during the colder months what do you do? Increase the temp on your current heater(s), turn the house heat up more, add another aquarium heater or something else?

2. How many heaters do you run, how many total watts, and how many gallons of water do you have to heat?

NEED MORE HEAT.jpg
I have one 200 watt heater, in the summer it doesn't come on much in the winter it comes on a bit more. My house in the UK stays at 20 degrees c all year without heating so it never gets that cold.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO this hobby is a must to run any type of controller for your heater, this by far will outweigh any other investment in your aquarium, two heaters minimum, nothing else kills corals faster than heat, titanium heating elements are better than self-controlling heaters as they would not stick on or off.

reef_or_treat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today let's talk about heaters, heaters and more heaters for your aquarium! But not just for your aquarium but for your aquarium DURING the winter! So winter comes, it cools down outside and inside and it takes more watts to keep all that water warm! So what do you do? Turn the heaters up, turn the house heat up or buy another heater? Let's talk about it!

1. If you notice your aquarium water temperature trending down during the colder months what do you do? Increase the temp on your current heater(s), turn the house heat up more, add another aquarium heater or something else?

2. How many heaters do you run, how many total watts, and how many gallons of water do you have to heat?

NEED MORE HEAT.jpg
i have had my tank running for 2 years. 280g total water volume and have not had a heater any where in the tank. i actually have a chiller to bring the temp down and controlled. a hood and t5/led hybrid lighting the tank.

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) My tank temp does not trend thanks to being on an Inkbird controller.

2) two 300w brs titanium heaters. About 85g system.

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NEED MORE HEAT.jpg
4 heaters that work 2 at a time - 2 on, and the off heaters for backup. i can’t remember the watts just now. i’m heating 150g in a *cold* house.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read this I finally feel happy to be in phoenix where my tank chiller is still turning on and the AC is still running. I find my tanks don't need a chiller except maybe once a year so I keep a small one just in case. I would however much rather deal with heating issues than cooling issues I have tried all kinds of things to keep the tank cool but nothing seems to work as well as I would like.

DK450reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NEED MORE HEAT.jpg
I selected other. I have two heaters for redundancy. My tank is built into the wall so the back and three sides are in the utility room. I put 1/4” styrofoam house insulation on the sides and back to reduce heat loss through the glass as we all know glass is a terrible insulator itself. I figure I reduce the amount of heater on time by doing this and hold a steady 78 degrees

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House temp stays basically the same throughout the year. I've found that my heaters never really kicked on during winter months due to the heat being provided by return pumps, skimmer pump, and a few other equipment items needing small pumps.

With all that in mind, I unplugged my heaters as one less required equipment item needed for my system and have not had a need thus far. System stays around 77 degrees F w/minor fluctuations. :)

EDIT: House stays 76F during summer, 75F during winter.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy over sized heating elements, and crank up the wood stove downstairs! Wood is free except the labor involved. Sorry for my emissions into the world, and all the global warming debate but go to stay warm.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually turn my heaters down during the winter. The summer months are brutal here and my tank climbs up to 81 degrees. My heaters are set to 78.5 during the summer but they almost never come on then.
In the winter time I turn the heaters down to 77 and at night they turn on and keep the tank stable.

I have 300w split between two ehiems for my 120g.

ActualProof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently turned up the heat in the home. but, am considering getting a stronger heater and swapping one of my two 100W BRS heaters out. may even put a small heater in my ATO as it's causing my DT water to fluctuate.
Get the TUNZE Osmolator ATO, open it up, and adjust the flow rate down to just above the minimum. It’ll obviously run longer, depending on your total volume, but the slower introduction of water does make a difference! It flattened out the temp chart on my apex significantly.

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 2nd heater that is fixed temp at 78 to keep up the temp. It’s working perfectly.

DK450reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently turned up the heat in the home. but, am considering getting a stronger heater and swapping one of my two 100W BRS heaters out. may even put a small heater in my ATO as it's causing my DT water to fluctuate.
I did put a small heater in my ATO for that very reason!

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 800 watt Finnex heater hooked up to the Finnex heater controller. For my size of tank, it has no problem keeping my aquarium at the proper temperature.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house stays about the same temp year round, my issue is I use an outside air intake for my skimmer. The effects my tank temp a lot.
I don't use outside air, but have been kicking the idea around. I never thought about how it would impact the temperature. Do you see big swings?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use outside air, but have been kicking the idea around. I never thought about how it would impact the temperature. Do you see big swings?
No I dont see any difference in temp swings, my heaters just have to run a lot longer. I also use probably double the wattage of heaters than I would need without the outside air intake.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back