Turn UP the HEAT or BUY MORE HEATERS?!

You notice your aquarium water temp trending down in the colder months what do you do?

• Turn your current heater(s) up to a higher temp?

Votes: 122 25.2%
  • Buy more heaters?

Votes: 191 39.5%
  • Turn up the heat in your house?

Votes: 99 20.5%
  • Other (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 72 14.9%

• Total voters

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t notice any difference. The temperatures are pretty much constant throughout the year. If the heater is properly sized for the aquarium, there should be no difference. How could there be? Assuming of course the heater has a properly functioning thermostat. It will simply operate more when the ambient temperatures are lower and less when they are higher, right?

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opposite problem where I live, where the water stays around 27/28C during the winter, but summer time it climbs between 32/33C depending on if I am home and have my AC on.

I just leave things to be as they are. Keep my AC off during the day when I am at work or not there and put it on in the evenings, keeping the room at 27/28 so the tank stays around the 30 mark at night. Everything is fine and happy, I just have a FOWLR set up at the moment with various inverts and mollusks and a refugium with bunch of different types of gracileria.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use heaters. I keep flame scallops, firefish, fire coral, torch coral and lava corals to keep my tank nice and toasty. :p

Etto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 BRS heater on an inkbird at the moment. Just setting up my new 78gal. From reading this tread I'm going to put a second heater in the tank and I guess maybe a 3rd hooked up to the Apex.

How do you know when a heater fails if you are running multiple heaters? There is not an indicator light on these.

Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back