Turn your brown corals into GOLD! Unique Corals' latest contest is ON!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VB68

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have a place to put pics of my two "ugly"corals. I got these in my first live sale about a year and half ago. Was so proud of my first sps frags. In the sale they weren't brown or I don't think I would have bought them. They both were single 1"sticks. But, have steadily grown and have crazy polyp extension.
I actually have thought about giving them to somebody just to see if they would color up for them. A few weeks ago, I asked another reefer in my local club if he thought the one on the left was bleeched. The big branch on the left side of the left frag was growning but white. He convinced me it might just be new growth. Well he was right, it is full of polyps now. I keep thinking of the ugly duckling story and hoping one day they will spring to color.

DSCN4395_zpsf5f45bbb.jpg

DSCN4396_zps650de8e3.jpg

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uzu7ahyr.jpg

First up is my "nuclear green paly" half of the polyps were nice and green and they kind of just faded into the darkness of poo poo brown. Ended up donating them to someone setting up a classroom tank.

zupe2umu.jpg

Next up is my brown cactus. It looked sort of purple in the store, so I picked it up cheap. Never really turned purple just a nice brown stag.

8e4y7eta.jpg

And my crown jewel is brown mushroom. This coral is so brown/grey you really can't decipher it from the rock it is on. If it did wave In the flow it may we well just be a bare rock. But good news it had baby. So now have two or these brown beuts.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my submission a lovely brown Idaho Grape
I received my first piece around 12 years ago and have grown tons of it since giving it away to half the state. I was so happy when I first got it since it was something rare and unusual here in CO, everyone I give it to gets the nice pretty purple coloration out of it all I get is brown, it is invasive as all get out and since I have a hard time just killing it has come to fill in the back sides of my reef where I can't really see, too bad it has also encrusted several other areas in my tank and now has to be constantly chipped off for more room.

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread, we should all post again in a month or so to see if anything has recovered

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo much brown goodness here! We're deliberating now and should have the winner chosen soon!

-Scott

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last minute entry! But shes worth it ;)
In my old town we had a LFS that was known for just not being able to keep corals, you could go in one week and the new shipment would look "alright" and then the next week they were completely browned or on their way out. So Id often go in a few days after shipments to see if I could score any nice pieces on their way out or sorts. One day I came across this maricultured acro, was horribly brown but I figured for $15 I couldn't go wrong if it colored up.
DSCN7543.jpg

DSCN7547.jpg

Came with a couple pests but Got that sorted out with a few dips, After about 4 months its still brownish getting blue tips though. Figured it was worth a shot to enter!

TrialandError

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I'm not to late to enter. This poor thing puffs up pretty but man is it sad looking. It had a spot that looked the color of green slime for a while but it's just boring and bland.

1B9F82C8-581C-45C0-8ABE-FF58793E3AD9-2872-00000553DCE14A92_zps65ede539.jpg

aceer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1381175533.751933.jpg

Here's my big ol' colt coral. Bulky, bare, and plain colored alien like fingers that makes a nice bed for my clown goby

dryad001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the contest is over but heres my blasto

When I found it:

2 weeks later

And right now:

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second...I missed something....there is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place? and....how did you find that out? I'M SO LOST! lol

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok lol well...congrats, I think! Are congrats in order for this type of contest? lol

Back