Tuxedo Urchin ate my GSP?!?

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tuxedo urchin is great. He will munch down on algae all day long basically strip mining the rock clean. If I add a frag with coraline algae on he will find it and eat it within minutes of it getting into the tank, fine I'm not a huge coreline fan.

But a few days ago he walked across my 2 week old GSP and I left him too it not thinking much of it but my GSP didn't come back out when I checked it later....and hasn't now for 2 days! Has he eaten it? Its hard to tell with GSP but I haven't seen any heads at all and prior to that it was always out and doing well....

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tuxedo urchin is great. He will munch down on algae all day long basically strip mining the rock clean. If I add a frag with coraline algae on he will find it and eat it within minutes of it getting into the tank, fine I'm not a huge coreline fan.

But a few days ago he walked across my 2 week old GSP and I left him too it not thinking much of it but my GSP didn't come back out when I checked it later....and hasn't now for 2 days! Has he eaten it? Its hard to tell with GSP but I haven't seen any heads at all and prior to that it was always out and doing well....
Could we get some pics? Wit pics it would be easier to diagnose the situation

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I highly doubt he ate it. Disturbed it yes but ate - I doubt it. I only WISH mine would eat some... That center piece is all GSP

IMG_7367.JPG

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt he ate it. Disturbed it yes but ate - I doubt it. I only WISH mine would eat some... That center piece is all GSP

IMG_7367.JPG
He may have walked over the GSP, eaten bits of algae growing on it, and may have accidentaly poked or stabbed the coral a bit, and its just feeling stressed. How long has it been closed? Beause mine is quite sensitive, wont come out for a few days, then it comes out again in massive splendor.

OP
OP
xrouter

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have walked over the GSP, eaten bits of algae growing on it, and may have accidentaly poked or stabbed the coral a bit, and its just feeling stressed. How long has it been closed? Beause mine is quite sensitive, wont come out for a few days, then it comes out again in massive splendor.

This is making me feel better. Its been closed for a day and half so far so maybe it will be out tomorrow.

Tanks is in night cycle currently so will have to take some photos in the morning.

OP
OP
xrouter

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins are my favorite part of the cuc. But they can eat corals- in my tank I have not had that issue but there is plenty for them to graze on. If it’s a young tank, there may not be enough for him to eat?

It is a young tank but also am in the middle of keeping an algae outbreak under control so he should be fat from it right about now. Slightly worried that they can eat corals, all the information I read said while they tended to knock them over if not glued down but not that they could eat them....if so he might find himself in my sump :(

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tuxedo has most definitely plowed over unglued corals on plugs knocking them in sandbed and carried shells/hermits/zoas on his back but, NEVER eaten a coral lol

OP
OP
xrouter

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mystery solved, the GSP is not eaten but he did manage to rip a bit off getting to the coraline underneath which probably send it into shock as was suggested. Its now back out and you can clearly see where he turned it over and ripped it.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about a kenya tree eating urchin

Nothing eats Kenya trees...it'll just grow inside of whatever ate it, eating the food that comes into the stomach. Then once the "Host" dies, it grows back out through the mouth and continues to infest your tank. I'm sorry, but you should restart your tank after sending me all your coral and bleaching everything else.

:)

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing eats Kenya trees...it'll just grow inside of whatever ate it, eating the food that comes into the stomach. Then once the "Host" dies, it grows back out through the mouth and continues to infest your tank. I'm sorry, but you should restart your tank after sending me all your coral and bleaching everything else.

:)
Nah I don't have too much Kenya tree I just keep having to get rid of it manually which is very annoying

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back