Tuxedo Urchin, Can it recover? (photo)

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were so pleased to add a tuxedo urchin to our tank last week. It seemed to have acclimated & was eating quite well, making its way around the rock work.

This morning, I found it upside down on the rock and it had dropped a lot of spines. I flipped it over, and it's tube feet don't appear to be grabbing hold. The flow pushed it into this corner, where I'm keeping an eye on it.

Does anyone have experience with one recovering from this state?
WeChat Image_20210506120141.jpg

Additionally, I can't explain why this may have happened. Parameters appear to be where they should be & no major changes/swings.
It has been here 6-7 days, and was doing a very good job of cleaning the rock. Size is slightly less than 2".

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question I don’t think it’s going to recover. sorry... mine died shortly after looking like that.

Some questions for maybe a future tuxedo.

Do you have an ATO. Affected by salinity changes.

Also did you drip acclimate it for like an hour plus?

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not much to do at this point. To save a tuxedo, it is all done before adding them to the tank.

Which is making sure they have a GOOD acclamation and ensuring they have enough food.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience you have no chance to save it. Sorry.

OP
OP
E

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not much to do at this point. To save a tuxedo, it is all done before adding them to the tank.

Which is making sure they have a GOOD acclamation and ensuring they have enough food.
Yes to both from the previous post, I've got an ATO keeping salinity in check & I dripped for about an hour & a half. Is acclimation still on the table as a culprit after 6-7 of active eating? I suspect the general health of the animal when purchased from my lfs, but I want to rule out issues on my end. I have an icp test going in today. I guess I'll follow up if anything turns up there

Last edited:

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to both from the previous post. Is acclimation still on the table as a culprit after 6-7 of active eating?
Mine was active till it died. Literally sprinkling it’s spines around the tank. But only lasted a few days, this was due to a bad acclamation. I know other things like crustacean can die a month later from a bad acclamation. Talking about a Mantis shrimp in particular. I wouldn’t think urchins are the exception. But obviously it’s all speculation, you could have just got a sick one.

Back