Tuxedo Urchins & Sea hare - Chaeto eaters?

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a refugium with chaeto. The chaeto is healthy and growing, but GHA is quickly gaining a foothold in the refugium.

I’ve been battling GHA in the 150g display tank, and have 4 tuxedo urchins. I was thinking about moving some or all of them to the fuge, but am not sure whether the discriminate between GHA and chaeto.

I’m also considering getting a sea hare for the display tank, so I have the same question for sea hares as well. Will they eat just the GHA or will they be distracted and eat the chaeto instead?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been battling GHA in the 150g display tank, and have 4 tuxedo urchins. I was thinking about moving some or all of them to the fuge,
I dont think the urchins will eat the GHA. If they do it wont be much. They will eat Chaeto.
I’m also considering getting a sea hare for the display tank, so I have the same question for sea hares as well. Will they eat just the GHA or will they be distracted and eat the chaeto instead?
The hare will eat it all then starve to death. They eat a lot.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a laundry basket of chaeto in my Rubbermaid sump. I keep 4 turbos which never touch chaeto and 3 tux urchins. I find the urchins on the chaeto maybe once a week but in my system are worth it to keep the basket clean

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a refugium with chaeto. The chaeto is healthy and growing, but GHA is quickly gaining a foothold in the refugium.

I’ve been battling GHA in the 150g display tank, and have 4 tuxedo urchins. I was thinking about moving some or all of them to the fuge, but am not sure whether the discriminate between GHA and chaeto.

I have 4 tuxedo urchins in my 30G Refugium and they do go after the GHA algae, but they are not staying ahead of the growth. I need to had some more from my DT. They don’t seem to notice of Chaeto too much.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can testify that they dont particularly like GHA but my tuxedos do like to pull a chunk of GHA and carry it around. The GHA on it never seems to get bigger so I assume it occasionally snacks on it. My diademas (long spine” absolutely want nothing do with it, its just the hard green algae, coralline or nori sheets. I’d say urchins arent just that fond of GHA. You’d have better luck with some hermits. Or those small limpets.

Back