Twistii wrasse with injured jaw- Help???

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have a Twistii wrasse with a damaged jaw I think. His mouth stays open all the time. He acts healthy and is swimming around fine. He hasn’t eaten yet, but I think that might be due to his jaw. I have him in a 65 gal tank with a few other fish. The tank is dosed with Prazipro and am starting cupramine soon. Is there any medication I can give him to help his jaw heal? I have kanaplex, sulfaplex, neoplex, and metroplex.

Can get pics if needed.

Thanks!!

#reefsquad
@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@evolved ( tagging you because I know you know wrasses )

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have a Twistii wrasse with a damaged jaw I think. His mouth stays open all the time. He acts healthy and is swimming around fine. He hasn’t eaten yet, but I think that might be due to his jaw. I have him in a 65 gal tank with a few other fish. The tank is dosed with Prazipro and am starting cupramine soon. Is there any medication I can give him to help his jaw heal? I have kanaplex, sulfaplex, neoplex, and metroplex.

Can get pics if needed.

Thanks!!

#reefsquad
@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@evolved ( tagging you because I know you know wrasses )
You have the fish with a few other fish or 26 other fish?

Can you upload pics of the mouth so we can take a look?

Could be a shipping injury knowing that these fish were transhipped.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the fish with a few other fish or 26 other fish?

Can you upload pics of the mouth so we can take a look?

Could be a shipping injury knowing that these fish were transhipped.

He is with about 8 other fish. (I only ended up with 15 fish total)

Attaching pics below

I suspect that’s what it is from. I’ve read these fish are sand burrowers so they try to burrow in the bag and injure their mouth.

Sorry for fuzzy cell pics

E60C1654-3D5D-48EB-BA77-F40AC56F3CC1.jpeg

3F6A730C-760B-4C1B-B59F-E2C71D83E297.jpeg

Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouth doesn’t look too bad to me. I’d just let it try to settle in and hope for the best at this point. They’re a tough fish regardless. Wrasses can overcome pretty bad mouth damage. I have a Potters wrasse that arrived without a top jaw getting close to a year in my care.

PE mysis seems to work better than hikari to get most difficult wrasses eating. Also some live brine works to at least get the feeding instinct turned on.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouth doesn’t look too bad to me. I’d just let it try to settle in and hope for the best at this point. They’re a tough fish regardless. Wrasses can overcome pretty bad mouth damage. I have a Potters wrasse that arrived without a top jaw getting close to a year in my care.

PE mysis seems to work better than hikari to get most difficult wrasses eating. Also some live brine works to at least get the feeding instinct turned on.

Thanks! Good to hear you had success with a damaged jaw!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, to just give it some time as it is likely a shipping injury.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back