Two aquatic tools worth their weight in gold! Do you own them both?

Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?

• I own both a fish trap and acclimation box

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Just a fish trap

Votes: 70 13.4%
  • Just an acclimation box

Votes: 141 27.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 222 42.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We've all done it! We buy something based on emotion, excitement or because it glitters and shines only later to find out that we didn't really need it! Today though I want to talk about two tools that have had multiplied their value for me many times over. What are they? The fish trap and the acclimation box! I firmly believe that every aquarium owner should have both of these tools. Either DIY or purchased you should have them! Let's talk about it today.

1. Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?

2. Do you agree that these are valuable tools to aquarium keepers?

3. Do you have a story of how one of these items really saved you money?

image via @JumboShrimp with the Octoaquatics acclimation box
95DA1304-38AF-452D-926A-FE4883093A7A.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?
Neither, BUT I have borrowed a fish trap when I needed it from my LFS.
2. Do you agree that these are valuable tools to aquarium keepers?
I do not think acclimation boxes help and cause more stress for the fish in a small area high up in the tank fully exposed to the other fish. To me it seems like the best way to acclimate the fish is to have plenty of hiding spots for them in the tank - so if there is 'aggression' it is lessened. Before adding fish to my tank, I always feed the 'old fish' which also limits aggression IMO
3. Do you have a story of how one of these items really saved you money?
I had a lemon peel angel - that slowly day by day started literally mowing down coral - he was very secretive about it. It was only after watching the tank for a couple of hours that I saw him come up - and rip large pieces off. I borrowed a fish trap after trying to net it. It took a couple days, but it worked.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a time that you need to get a fish out of your aquarium. Fish trap saves you from dismantling the rock structures and knocking over corals. Worth every penny.

1623854789496.jpeg

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish trap has been invaluable, but I don't have a purpose-made acclimation box. I'm sure they do work for some people, but I've found that, for me, fish will either get along, or they won't, regardless of how long they're in an acclimation box. I've used breeder boxes as quasi-acclimation boxes, and it hasn't seemed to matter. If a fish is going to harass another fish, it seems like it'll do it regardless.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used my acclimation box yesterday
IMG_3696-M.jpg

IMG_3698-L.jpg

I moved a tang from a 75 to the 240.

The secret to the acclimation box. You have to put the fish where the existing aggressive fish lives in the tank. In it's territory. I put a brick on the box and sank it to the bottom where the other tangs live and let them fight it out.
It only took 2 days to make this fish acceptable to his new tankmates. That includes a clown tang.

I suppose if I needed a fish trap I would make one.

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both--the trap borrowed from my son inlaw to maybe catch up some unwanted staghorn damsels that I was shipped in error. The 6 of them, getting big, take up a lot of real estate in my tank. But I'm also the sort of person who when I accept a pet, I accept it for life. I'd hate for my fish to be stressed in a lfs, and possible die from stress or neglect etc. Big issue for me with the trap is I have no room on the sandbed to set it up!

Now that I've decided to upgrade from a 125 to a 231 display, I may keep them as I'll be able now (or when I get the new tank) add the fish I want. Possible that I may trade a couple in when I catch them up to xfer to new tank.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an acclimation box after adding a cherub angel to my tank.. the clown and hawkfish were bullying the heck out of it. Turns out everyone just needed a few days, all is great now and everyone Is doing fine. I definitely could've used the acclimation box before adding her directly to the tank tho

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a dedicated purpose acclimation box. I bought a nice acrylic fish trap that serves both purposes. I've never both needed to remove fish, and acclimate in new fish at the same time.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own or have ever used either of them. I did have to get a fish out once and I wish I would've had a trap but didn't have time to order one. You think I would order one after needing it but I still haven't.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a trap and two types of acclimators: social acclimator and acclimator to acclimate new fish to your tank. The last one is AccliMate by Reef Gently. I don’t know if you can still get them but here’s an old video.

Edit: doesn’t talk about acclimator until time 2:45.

Last edited:

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting my custom boxes made by Matt (@cromag27) at Octo Aquatics right now. I believe they work extremely well helping new fish acclimate with an existing population of fish. Especially because i'm obsessed with predators and big fish that are 6-12". Allows time for the fish to get to know each other and for the new addition to get used to new tank water and start eating properly. I also keep the new fish in the box until it has a slight belly developing to make sure it is strong enough to face the gang.

My new boxes are being custom made to spec by Matt. 14x8x8. He is even installing a feeding cutout for me! Can't wait to get them.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap but I drain my tank now to catch fish. I can get it emptied and refilled in under a half hour.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vote other - because I do not have a fish trap, neither an acclimation box - but I use my refugium as an acclimation box. Every newcomer I introduce will be in my refugium at least 14 days - sometimes longer. There is a couple of reason for this -

1. There is a lot of living food in the refugium and the transition to frozen dead food will go seamless.
2. It is a rather calm place that will slowly introduce the newcomers for my microbial community. No stress from other fish that already is adapted to my DT
3. The newcomers get the same smell as the old. I have done tests with this and it has not matter if the old fish could see the newcomers during the adaption or not - the important factor seems to be that they swim in nearly exact the same water for a while

From the moment I start with this way of introducing new fish - I have not seen any - I say any - aggression from the old against the newcomers then they been introduced into the DT. Last time was two tiny scooter blennies. No other fish have attacked them after the introduction. An I have som fish that´s know to be real bullies.

I think the acclimation tank is a very good tool if you do not have any refugium or QT. If you QT - IMO - it is important to do WC with help of the DT water rather often a week or two before introduction into the DT.

Sincerely Lasse

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other as new to saltwater ( 4 months) have 5 fish but not used acclimination box yet but i will be probably making a diy one out of egg crate if needed later down the line.
But i know live rock in display has many advantages.
Surface area for bacteria.
Surface for corals at different heights.
Hide holes for shy fish
Break line of sight if got agressive fish.
Sleeping quarters etc etc the list goes on.
So can imagine how hard it would be to catch some fish so a fish trap could be very useful if patient and dont want to dismantle the tank to catch a fish.
And acclimation box be useful so other established fish get used to sight of other fish before real introduction and read even fish can smell if a fish came from same water like if new fish been kept in sump first then inyroduced to dt then established fish know the smell of the water the fish been in so leave it alone more.only what ive read but it makes sense.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back