Two aquatic tools worth their weight in gold! Do you own them both?

Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?

• I own both a fish trap and acclimation box

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Just a fish trap

Votes: 70 13.4%
  • Just an acclimation box

Votes: 141 27.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 222 42.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.7%

• Total voters

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Octo Aquatics acclimation box. I've only needed it a few times but I was very thankful that I had it each time.

Once I was shipped the wrong pistol shrimp (tiger instead of candy cane). Since it was already quarantined I didn't have a separate tank set up. The arriving shrimp was to go straight into the display. Luckily I was able to keep him safe in the acclimation box until the next day when someone could take him off my hands.

When I've had a fish or invert acting unusual it has given me a good place to keep them safe and allow careful observation.

It has even provided a good spot to put a frag that is being picked at.

Great tool to have.
Where did you get your candy cane pistol shrimp (assuming the store sent you the right shrimp after shipping the wrong one). I've been looking for one for about 6 months and can't find one at my LFS's.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the end of the day I was able to release it again and everything was peaceful. I wish I had figured this out before it got beat up. I think it will be fine though. Today it is swimming from one end of the tank to the other right beside the 3 other tangs like they are best buddies.
I have not tested it with tangs so you are probably right and your solution seems to be perfect. However we tested with aggressive tanganyika cichlids (Tropheus) and they also fight a little afterwards but not so much as we had moved them directly in.

Those are some great points on reasons to use the refugium. I had never thought of the smell thing. I have never had a sense of smell so the idea a new fish will be better accepted if he smells the same after being in the refugium is interesting.
I can´t say 100% that it is because of smell but we did some trial with cichlids back in the 80:ties, We first placed the newcomers in a seperate tank in sight for the old for a week or two. When we moved them - fight. In the next trial we had some problem with out tap water so we changed water with help of the large tank to the small with the newcomers. Next move was much, much better. When the idea with the smell come up and we did another test with a tank out off sight for the main tank - only daily WC from the main tank. That transition works very well and we use that system after this. When I started my new aquaria - I had some problem with bullying and decide to use the refugium and it works out very well for me.

Sincerely Lasse

darrelh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all done it! We buy something based on emotion, excitement or because it glitters and shines only later to find out that we didn't really need it! Today though I want to talk about two tools that have had multiplied their value for me many times over. What are they? The fish trap and the acclimation box! I firmly believe that every aquarium owner should have both of these tools. Either DIY or purchased you should have them! Let's talk about it today.

1. Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?

2. Do you agree that these are valuable tools to aquarium keepers?

3. Do you have a story of how one of these items really saved you money?

image via @JumboShrimp with the Octoaquatics acclimation box
95DA1304-38AF-452D-926A-FE4883093A7A.jpeg
I hate to admit that I have neither, I better make one!

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

REM2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acclimation box that I haven't used--my tank is small and now fully stocked, but I'm keeping it on hand in case I need a spot to stick a fish for observation or a coral that isn't looking too great. I've had two occasions where I needed to catch and rehome a bully fish, and on both of those occasions I netted them. Got lucky with the first and lifted out the rock he was hiding under and had the net on him before he could react. The second was a damsel that took a few tries over several hours, and ultimately required draining half the water from the tank. The problem was pretty urgent and it was a nano, so not too much hassle to drain until I could back him in a corner. Just have clowns now that will swim right up to my hand, so I'm not planning to buy a trap.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your candy cane pistol shrimp (assuming the store sent you the right shrimp after shipping the wrong one). I've been looking for one for about 6 months and can't find one at my LFS's.

The original vendor was never able to get one for me so in the end I just put myself on the "notify me" list at Live Aquaria and I was eventually able to get one through there. Terrific shrimp, so glad I was finally able to get one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I have one trap and two acclimation boxes.

They are especially the trap. Made life so easy in removing bully/pesky fish without ANY effort

The acclimation box has allowed me to isolate more than one fish that was subject to bullying/aggression and allowing the aggressor to calm down.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acclimation box. It works to get the fish used to the new fish which limits the aggression once released. It really does work.
BUT I NEED TO GET A DOMINO DAMSEL OUT OF MY TANK. Any recommended fish traps??
A9F6201A-271F-4994-800D-D6A4EFD5453C.jpeg

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trap that I've only used once, but may have to use again in the near future! It made life soooo much easier to catch a difficult-to-catch fish! After days of chasing around with a net in 1 hand and a colander in the other, and way too much stress on me AND the fish, I borrowed one from a LFS and had him within an hour! The next day, I bought it from them! At the time, I was buying my SW from the LFS, so draining the tank to catch him would have cost me a fortune!

I have a breeder box that I've used as an acclimation box a few times. I wish I had used it with my last addition. I usually add fish in twos to avoid any issues but didn't this time. My newly added blue damsel is being chased all around by my Kaudern's cardinal and occasionally my WTBT tang. I put her in after feeding and lights out and the next morning, the chasing started. Thought he'd get past it, but it's been nearly a week. Luckily she's fast, smart, brave, and little, so she outswims him and dashes into her little crevice, only to go out the other side and swim over him while he guards the crevice where she went in. Once he sees her, though, it's back to the chase. Interestingly, and fortunately, no one bothers her at feeding time. I may have to catch the cardinal in the trap and use the breeder/acclimation box for a timeout if he won't leave her alone soon.

So, basically, Yes, I own both and consider them invaluable tools, and Yes, they've saved me money!

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel acclimation boxes are torture for Tangs since they all are designed so small. I'd rather just get them in and do the mirror trick for aggression.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all done it! We buy something based on emotion, excitement or because it glitters and shines only later to find out that we didn't really need it! Today though I want to talk about two tools that have had multiplied their value for me many times over. What are they? The fish trap and the acclimation box! I firmly believe that every aquarium owner should have both of these tools. Either DIY or purchased you should have them! Let's talk about it today.

image via @JumboShrimp with the Octoaquatics acclimation box
95DA1304-38AF-452D-926A-FE4883093A7A.jpeg
1. Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other? Both

2. Do you agree that these are valuable tools to aquarium keepers? Absolutely agree!

3. Do you have a story of how one of these items really saved you money? Yes, but to sum up all the stories, let me just share my fish' nickname: Death Dealers. Not just money saved, but also LIVES saved

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few decades of fishkeeping i have never owned either item and only had a need for one once(a fish trap). Borrowed one from my LFS.

Mr Krabbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found the trap to be a must. Used mine several times over the years. My local LFS has one to borrow as well so check yours before buying one.

For acclimation, I've had great success with bringing the fish home in the evening to acclimate to the tank water and temp, then releasing it into the tank once the lights ramp down. I turn the red LEDs on so I can see what's going on, but the fish can't see eachother well enough to make the effort to chase the newbie.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both, but I have never used the trap box. On the contrary the DIY acclimation box is very useful. I used it with a small Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis when I introduced it in my tank where there is a number of well established big angel fish. Worked like a charm.

I'll post pictures of it as soon as I can

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room in my 13g EVO. I float the bag and gradually add tank water with a baster.
They all get along since there's only little fishes; bullet hole clown, antenna goby with his buddy pistol shrimp, clown face goby and a peppermint shrimp.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have neither of those things but on the few times, years ago I had to catch a fish, I just built a trap with a sliding door operated with a rubber band.

wolfthefallen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do own an acclimation box, I hardly use it for initial acclimation. I tend to use it as a time-out box if someone starts to become unruly while I clean the tank or rearrange things to make them think they are in a new area and no longer have a territory.

Though I only have a 55g and focus more on coral then fish.. So no tangs or aggressive fish in my tank.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your method doesn't work with tangs. The fish I moved was in a tank on the same sump as the other tank for many months and fed the same food as them from the same cup. It had outgrown the 75 and had to go in the 240.

I moved him right before lights out and fed the tank. I have read about your method and hoped it would work.

There was a big fight. The 3 tangs already in the tank chased the new one out of the rocks and up into a corner. Then the clown tang started really attacking. I netted him again and put him in the box for the night.

I have used the box before and like others said it accomplished nothing. I tried it twice when I added my second large angel. It floats around the top but when you release the fish the aggression starts. They pay no attention to the fish while it floats near the surface.

So this time I forced the aggression to come out by placing the box right on the bottom where the tangs spend most of their time. I did this in the morning. And they fought again but the box prevented any damage. I had placed a large red clay brick on it to sink it. They could not move the box. After a few hours they quit. At noon I moved the box to the right end of the tank and it started again. But not as bad as in the morning and it didn't last nearly as long.

By the end of the day I was able to release it again and everything was peaceful. I wish I had figured this out before it got beat up. I think it will be fine though. Today it is swimming from one end of the tank to the other right beside the 3 other tangs like they are best buddies.

Right now
2021061615063323-123269907282566927-IMG_3705-edited-M.jpg

2021061615071244-1848921327454946686-IMG_3704-edited-M.jpg

I made my acclimation box from a cheap Kritter Keeper by drilling some holes in the bottom and gluing foam in the top to make it float. I tied a piece of fishing line so I can anchor it to something while it is floating. It has a little eyelet on the top where I removed the handle.
Wow thanks for sharing. This is really great information. I was wondering if the fish even notice each other if the acclimation box is near the surface. So I will try placing it lower in the tank. I am glad that we have some way to deal with fish aggression. Take out the perpetrator for a while and let him know that he is not boss anymore and re-introduce him after the new fish has had a chance to adapt and establish a territory I guess? Tangs can be so evil, the first fish I bough was a yellow tang when I started in 2000 in my 38 gallon. I was heartbroken when seeing how aggressive the YT was to any new additions. I ended up taking the tang back because I didn't know what to do. This past year I had a 8" Sohal...and owwww man I know fish chase each other and bicker and eventually stop right but this Sohal was violent, he would rip other fish's fins apart and completely off in the night in random burst of violence. Had to trade him out after I raised him from 3" to over 8 because he was just too dangerous to the other fish. Beautiful tank and fish too btw!

Last edited:

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ghetto fish trap. A jar with styrofoam strips around the neck and holes to add food in. Held to the glass using an old glass cleaner(floater).
I caught my kuiters wrasse using this. At the first sight of fish net, he would dive straight in the sand. Took me 3 days to get him but it was faaaaaaar easier than catching him by combing through the sand.

Attachments

• received_976209863184906.jpeg
    received_976209863184906.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 18
Back