Two Cor-20 or Two Vectra M2 for 300 gallon return pumps?

2 Cor-20 or 2 vectra m2 for 300gallon returns ?

• Total voters

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering what everyone else thinks is the best pumps to run from these 2. I plan to use 2 return pumps Placed internal to my sump both separately feeding its own return to The tank. Sump will be next to tank on ground and tank is 96x30x24 so not more then 12 ft line to farthest return bulkhead on tank. I do have apex along with all of its modules so this is why I’m considering Cor-20 Bit I have heard mixed reviews on this pump. It would be nice tho cause I would take full advantage of feed switches and ramp up and down profiles which I’m already use to doing. Then I consider vectra m2 because recently also purchased g5 radions and now using mobius and I heard vectra m2 will work almost same as Cor-20 threw apex as vectra threw mobius. The vectra is about 100$ more then Cor-20 which really is not an issue if I choose vectra assuming it’s the better pump of coarse. Well let me know what you guys think and your experiences with either of these pumps for large tank returns

Meista_Flya

It wasn't me!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same exact dimensions on that tank right now. Personally I am going with 1 COR-20 right now. But im going to be plumbing In 2 seperate return lines probably connected threw a gate valve for now. Just in case I'm going to need 2 down the line. But I havnt had an issue with my cor 20. Its running perfectly fine in my 92 gallon bow front right now. Its preety quiet too. I havnt set up the ramp up or ramp down features tho. But since I have the whole apex system. I figure to me the cor 20 would fit perfectly with what I'm going with.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same exact dimensions on that tank right now. Personally I am going with 1 COR-20 right now. But im going to be plumbing In 2 seperate return lines probably connected threw a gate valve for now. Just in case I'm going to need 2 down the line. But I havnt had an issue with my cor 20. Its running perfectly fine in my 92 gallon bow front right now. Its preety quiet too. I havnt set up the ramp up or ramp down features tho. But since I have the whole apex system. I figure to me the cor 20 would fit perfectly with what I'm going with.
I like the idea of having 2 separate pumps for 2 reasons first is for safety Incase of a pump failure I will always have a second pump running. With m2 or cor20 both would be at 50% or so and in failure situation can just turn working pump up till issue is fixed. Then second as I stated both pumps would be at 50% or so only causing less wear and tear on pumps hopefully making them last longer and also at 50 making them much quieter then 1 pump at almost 100%

Meista_Flya

It wasn't me!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats true too. I didnt think about that. But in an emergency u could always have the apex turn the wave higher for flow until you could fix ur cor 20. I think there are alot of benefits from the apex controlling everything. I mean i love my radions. But I don't know much about the mobius or how the vectra will work. At least with the apex, if the cor fails you can have the protein skimmer shut off. It can shut off your dosers ur heater and all the other failsafe that the apex has. If u get the vectra and 1 vectra fails or both fail you wouldn't be able to tell everything else to do something in case of failure.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running dual COR20’s in my 210, one is dedicated to UV and a return, the other to manifold and return. Plus why not have redundancy if one fails?

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could still use apex flow sensor to tell me if a vectra acting up. Another issue with 1 pump and rely on wave pumps is all heaters are in sump and my display will cool off fast in my basement especially during winter. I’d rather have thE second pump for a limp mode continuing flow threw sump.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running dual COR20’s in my 210, one is dedicated to UV and a return, the other to manifold and return. Plus why not have redundancy if one fails?
What do you have on manifold in the manifold and return side ?

Meista_Flya

It wasn't me!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could still use apex flow sensor to tell me if a vectra acting up. Another issue with 1 pump and rely on wave pumps is all heaters are in sump and my display will cool off fast in my basement especially during winter. I’d rather have thE second pump for a limp mode continuing flow threw sump.
Ttue flow sensor could work too. I mean i guess there's pros and cons to both! I'm just thinking simplicity in the grand scheme of things. I like only having to use the one app and see what everything is doing. But since there are pros and cons to both .... for example if you plug the vector into one of the EB38 outlets you could have the apex check for voltage rises and drops in the specific outlet. And if the voltage goes beyond a set parameter then you can have the other components do their failsafe things as well. Me personally I have the lights set up how I want them now and just leave the mobius app alone. I have an old apple iPad that I have mounted to the wall and I just leave the apex app on the iPad so I can see what everything is doing. I guess it just comes to personal preference. There is a rumor floating around as well about ecotech coming out with their own aquarium controller software. But tis just a rumor. And i just shelled out a ton of green stuff for all the apex. So that could be something u might wanna look into as well.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ttue flow sensor could work too. I mean i guess there's pros and cons to both! I'm just thinking simplicity in the grand scheme of things. I like only having to use the one app and see what everything is doing. But since there are pros and cons to both .... for example if you plug the vector into one of the EB38 outlets you could have the apex check for voltage rises and drops in the specific outlet. And if the voltage goes beyond a set parameter then you can have the other components do their failsafe things as well. Me personally I have the lights set up how I want them now and just leave the mobius app alone. I have an old apple iPad that I have mounted to the wall and I just leave the apex app on the iPad so I can see what everything is doing. I guess it just comes to personal preference. There is a rumor floating around as well about ecotech coming out with their own aquarium controller software. But tis just a rumor. And i just shelled out a ton of green stuff for all the apex. So that could be something u might wanna look into as well.
I honestly would never switch I’m apex for life I also just put out a whole lot of green too. I have 3 with tons of gear. Somehow some way whatever pump I get will be controlled by apex. Yes you are right threw eb38 can monitor current and set alarms from there aswell. As far as one app that was thrown out th e window when I had to have new g5s but like you said they are plugging into an energy bar for monitoring also.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do want to point out is the vectra has battery backup option that can be purchased. Have not seen one for Cor-20

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a dual return setup with two COR20‘s on my CDA 225 gallon w/40 gallon sump. One is straight return one side of tank the other is to a 3 port manifold then to UV then to other return on opposite side of tank. Both have flow monitor. The pumps are extremely quiet. I like that I have a back up should one fail...

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a vote for 2 vectra but no comment from the person :)I would have liked to know why or his experience

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do want to point out is the vectra has battery backup option that can be purchased. Have not seen one for Cor-20

this is true, but the way I look at it if you are investing the kind of money we are in a reef tank a generator is a must. We went with a whole home generac and we love it. Power goes out a few times a year here in NTX

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do worry about the longevity of these DC pumps. I use a decades reliable external AC pump due to limitation in my setup, but were I using DC as my returns I would absolutely go with dual/redundant pumps. I have been using the Vectra M1 for a number of years on a closed loop and it has been just fine, but were it to fail the impact would be minimal. I personally like being able to quickly see tank status through the fusion dashboard. Mobius seems like it's got a ways to go before it is equally user friendly. I would go with dual COR; just make sure to maintain native pipe size.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am a Vectra fan. I have used them since they first came out.
I had some issues with the L1 as many did. They seem to have corrected the issues with the L2.
If the L2 was on your list, I would have picked a single one of those.
Since you didn't, and you already have a Apex, I voted for Cor 20 for obvious reasons.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Planet 310 same dimension as yours except 25" tall. I run one replacement M1 at 50%. My first M1 started a whine sound, so I sent it back and they sent this one which pumps 50% more water than the first.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back