Two heaters? - One Ink Bird

rfft2321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using an ink bird controller with one 300W titanium heater for a Reefer 250. I have since downsized to a 170 G2 but still using the 300 w heater with my ink bird.

If I wanted to use two heaters would I need another 300 ? Or could I go smaller ? Also, by plugging both heaters into the ink bird if one fails does it know automatically to fail safe to the other ?

Thanks!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
yep smaller would suffice as redundancy. that’s what mostly everyone does, however it’s also a good idea or practice to size slightly larger so if one heater does break or become nonfunctional, the other doesn’t have to work as much.

i currently run two 100w heaters in a 40B(roughly 50G water volume). when i finally upgrade to my 75(hoping i can find a 90g…), i will run slightly larger heaters (probably two 200w heaters)

edit: i could also be wrong as i haven’t really done the research or confirmed on my own if it works that way but: i THINK with the probes on the inkbird each one works independently and will send a signal to turn on or off, the heater corresponding to the one that is triggered by your settings.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if one fails does it know automatically to fail safe to the other ?
Not entirely sure what this is asking, but a controller just supplies power to the heaters when it detects temperatures outside of the set range.
If you plug in two heaters and one dies (doesn't heat), then you have one heater.
If a heater's internal thermostat breaks and it stays on all the time, then nothing changes unless the controller breaks too.

OP
OP
R

rfft2321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have one 300 w heater plugged into my ink bird. I want to have a second heater incase that dies, which by what you are saying is quite simple. However, if the internal thermostat goes crazy on the heater will the ink bird shut down the heater or heaters because it’s gone above the set point I have it at

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you relying on the heaters to set the temperature range and using the controller as a backup? If so, yes, the controller will stop the heaters from frying your tank :)

If you're using the controller to... control the temperature range, then also yes, but nothing really changes. You'll still be at your set range for temperature.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have one 300 w heater plugged into my ink bird. I want to have a second heater incase that dies, which by what you are saying is quite simple. However, if the internal thermostat goes crazy on the heater will the ink bird shut down the heater or heaters because it’s gone above the set point I have it at
The inkbird will shut down both heaters when the temp probe reaches the set temp. It has no idea if you have 1 heater plugged in or 2, power to both is supplied simultaneously. Set heaters a few degrees higher than your desired temp so if something goes wonky with the inkbird and it sticks on the temp will only go as high as it is set on the heaters

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller heaters if you put two in the tank for redundancy. If the Inkbird fails, you don’t want to cook your fish.
If the heaters are working correctly they will shut off before cooking the fish if they are set only a few degrees higher than the inkbird. I use titanium heaters so if the inkbird sticks on my stuff is cooked. One of the risks using titanium heaters with no onboard control.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back