Two Nero 3 Powerheads Overkill for a 32 gallon tank?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering purchasing two Nero 3 powerheads for my 32 gallon tank. I believe I need to keep in mind the return valve as well. Do you think 2 powerheads for a tank my size is a bit overkill? It is a biocube, so it doesn't have you average elongated shape as a normal tank would.

PS - Considering maybe 1 vortech mp10 $$$ instead of the 2 nero's (yikes)

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 2 of the Nero 3's would be good for your setup. I like having opposing pumps to create that shifting chaotic flow in the middle. I dont run single pumps anymore with the exception of my fluval 13.5 nano tank

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my biocube, I ran 2 mp10's on about 60% reefcrest.

I say go with 2 of the nero3 's. I have one in my 80G cube just to push some water over the sandbed. I liked their small footprint initially, but I was very impressed with the amount of flow do they provide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are extremely strong. I have 2 in my 25 gallon and I run them at 15 percent power
Id go with 2 of the Neros. Once your corals start to grow, you already have the pumps to increase the flow.
I agree that 2 of the Nero 3's would be good for your setup. I like having opposing pumps to create that shifting chaotic flow in the middle. I dont run single pumps anymore with the exception of my fluval 13.5 nano tank
When I had my biocube, I ran 2 mp10's on about 60% reefcrest.

I say go with 2 of the nero3 's. I have one in my 80G cube just to push some water over the sandbed. I liked their small footprint initially, but I was very impressed with the amount of flow do they provide.
Any ideas on where I should point the return water valve if I have the two nero's placed at the front left and right of the thank facing each other?

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used locline and pointed it at the surface for gas exchange. If you point it across the top and to the left, it creates a swirling effect that pushes everything into the overflow on the biocube. IME

I do the same in every tank really. Use PH's to create flow for the corals, and the return to break the surface tension for gas exchange, and to push the surface proteins(the typical "scum" that sits on the top of the water) down the overflow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used locline and pointed it at the surface for gas exchange. If you point it across the top and to the left, it creates a swirling effect that pushes everything into the overflow on the biocube. IME

I do the same in every tank really. Use PH's to create flow for the corals, and the return to break the surface tension for gas exchange, and to push the surface proteins(the typical "scum" that sits on the top of the water) down the overflow.
Thanks for the detail! Perfect!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 2 Nero 3's in a 60 cube and I'm pretty happy with them. I think they are noisy at higher speeds but around 55% and less I can hardly hear them. I also use LocLine at the surface from the pump.
I was TODAY YEARS OLD when I heard of locline. I had to google it to see what y'all were talking about. Lol! Does locline fit most returns? If either of you are bored, feel free to send me a pic of how your locline is situated in your tank. I think you all have given me permission to buy yet another thing for my tank. I'll make sure my wife knows its not my fault this time. Lol!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS is the key thing here. Mine is a torch only tank and if I have them at 85% all my torches would die
For my education purposes, is it normal for hobbyists NOT to mix different types of coral in the same tank because of the differences of what they need?

Upvote 0

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my education purposes, is it normal for hobbyists NOT to mix different types of coral in the same tank because of the differences of what they need?
Yes that is true in many instances. SPS require high flow and high light, many LPS corals are low flow and low light. So putting lower light demand corals in with a high demand light coral could be a problem. But with that being said I have and still have many mixed reef tanks that do well, you just have to find a median that works. Taller tanks can help with that, put the SPS up high and the flow up high and place the LPS down lower

Upvote 0

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal not to mix and it is also normal to mix. It really depends on what you want for your tank. Depending on your tank’s dimensions and your rockwork, it is not impossible to house corals that need diff lighting intensity and diff flow rates together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Nero 5s in a 34 gal (Reefer 170) running at 40% both on the back wall. There is a lot of flow at 40%, plenty for SPS, but still gentle enough for softies, ricordea, and zoas. 2 Nero 3s should be fine.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back