Two new additions - Kole Tang and Eilbi Angel

bulldogniner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the blue-ish pics...I couldn't get my iphone to adjust to the light...suggestions welcome on that!

I've had my 210 for about 9 years and have had it rockin', then not so rockin'. And until recently a giant GHA sanctuary. I decided to get back into it, did an initial cleaning, water change, etc and a few weeks later added these two. Kole tang and Eilbi Angel.

I am always nervous adding new fish and this time I went a little slower acclimation and even turned the lights off for 24 hours to let them adjust. That's hard when you are so excited to see the new additions!

Anyway, they are doing pretty good so far. I am at day 4 and they are starting to swim out in the open more often, still a little nervous...

Kole tang has been grazing on algae pretty often but not eating Nori or frozen foods yet. Angel is eating some frozen and grazing on algae too.

Any good suggestions for either is appreciated!

IMG_4330.jpg IMG_4331.jpg IMG_4332.jpg IMG_4333.jpg IMG_4334.jpg IMG_4335.jpg IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4337.jpg IMG_4338.jpg

OP
OP
bulldogniner

bulldogniner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am hoping he gets acclimated well. I was looking for a Coral Beauty but they did not have them and I've always liked these, just never had one. I had my previous coral beauty for 6+ years before and would love for this guy to do the same.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think Eibli is considered one of the hardier dwarf angels, not when compared to Coral Beauty, Flame, or one of the Pygmy angels. WWM actually ranks the Flame above the CB in terms of hardiness. Flame is in their “Good” category, CB is in their “mediocre” category.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kole took a while to start taking nori, but now eats it regularly. In a 210 it may be finding enough to eat just browsing. My tank is smaller than yours, and it seemed like nori got on the menu only after the rocks got fully worked over ...

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the eibli for nipping of corals. I had one for a few months when I started adding corals. I upgraded tanks, and placed the corals before I moved the fish in. Took less than 5 minutes for the eibli to get a taste of my acans and ricordia. I thought it would subside, it didn't. Had to rehome him.

Awesome looking fish though, and tons of personality. If I had a FOWLR I'd get one again.

OP
OP
bulldogniner

bulldogniner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'll keep an eye out. I only have a few frogspawn and a duncan coral right now, so not too concerned but I do plan to add more to it.

I've been feeding the fish a little more often than I normally do to help them get adjusted. I normally feed every other day, but did a three day on, one day off this week. The Eilbi is eating pretty good on mysis and I see him constantly grazing...interesting that he actually likes to graze on the underside of the rocks as much as the top? Maybe there is some stuff there he likes?

The kole tang is still a little more skiddish. I do see him grazing every so often, but I haven't see him eat any mysis or eat the nori i put in the tank. The Eilbi is doing a little more open swimming today, so I am glad to see that.

OP
OP
bulldogniner

bulldogniner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a Kole tangs diet is grazing live rock? I see him doing that quite a bit which is great, but just wondering if not eating mysis, pellets or nori is a cause for concern. He is only been in the tank about a week and I did see him get fed at the fish store prior to buying him.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the better question is whether you have enough rock to sustain it. What was it eating at the store? Bristle tangs are mostly detritivores and slime algae eaters. My chevie took many weeks to become accustomed to eating from the water column, and over a year to take nori.

OP
OP
bulldogniner

bulldogniner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you how much rock I have, but I would think I have enough for the one tang to graze on in the 210.

As far as what it ate at the store, I need to find out. It was a frozen food, but not the same as what I have. They were darker than what I usually feed my fish. And I just checked, I thought I was feeding mysis, but mine are spirilina brine shrimp.

Ultimately I'd like to add a few more over the next several months or so(yellow, maybe an orange shoulder and hippo) so I definitely want to make sure this guy is doing well first.

Funny note, I was looking up the definition of a detrivore and I found a thread about a Kole tang you commented on in 2016 on reefcentral saying the same thing :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny note, I was looking up the definition of a detrivore and I found a thread about a Kole tang you commented on in 2016 on reefcentral saying the same thing :)

LOL, glad I’m consistent at least ....

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a Kole Tang along with a Yellow Tang and One Spot Fox Face to form an algae eating trio. Hopefully getting it to eat prepared herbivorous foods and nori won’t be too much of a hassle past the first 2-3 weeks. One can pray.....

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kole Tang will absolutely not take food from the water column. When he was a new addition, I had success getting him feeding by adding quality herbivore pellets to Masstick and smearing it on a frag disc. The disc was placed on the tank bottom near the algae clip. I don’t think I need to do this anymore, but still do so once a week as a treat for him.

As I mentioned above, mine took a while to eat nori, but really enjoys it now. I would continue making a small amount available and would expect your tang will eventually take it.

One other thing to note is that mine prefers to stay low in the tank, and cruise around close to the rocks. I switched from a suction cup algae clip to a magnetic one. Just to make it easier to get it down low. I dropped the nori to the bottom, and right alongside a rock he grazed regularly. That’s when he finally started taking it. He would not go up high on the glass for it. May be something worth trying if you have not already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bulldogniner

bulldogniner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zionas

For sure, I'm all about a Tang gang and assortment to handle the algae. I haven't done that before.

BTW, did you end up getting a dwarf/pygmy angel? I happened across your angelfish thread last night.

@SDK have you used the seaweed pouches like the ones I see from 2 Little Fishies? I was thinking about that so it would contain the nori for longer and not rip off the clip like it has done in the past.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ bulldogniner I will get a Flame Angel once my tank’s been up and running for a few months, so yes. As for my fish clean up crew, I plan to have a One Spot Foxface, Yellow Tang, and a Yellow Eye Kole Tang as my algae eaters. They should do a great job keeping my tank clean. No angels for me in the first 5-6 months or so.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zionas

@SDK have you used the seaweed pouches like the ones I see from 2 Little Fishies? I was thinking about that so it would contain the nori for longer and not rip off the clip like it has done in the past.

I use a regular clip. I cut down the nori and sandwich together a few strips that are only about an inch long. Once on the clip I further cut them vertically into strips so it sets up almost like thin, flat pasta noodles waving in the current. This keeps the mess down somewhat.

I was looking at the mesh clips, but was not sure how the small openings would work for a bristletooth tang with a wide open mouth/flat scraping feeding strategy. They seem more designed for small mouthed nippers like Yellow Tangs and Angels. If you go that route please post back and let me know if it works well...

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eibli is one fish I cannot seem to keep ....
That's funny (not ha ha funny) my Eibli is doing great, but before I got her, I failed with not one, not two, but 3 consecutive bicolor angels. Never trying them again. :(:(:(

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kole as well. Love her. In the beginning she was very skittish, kept threatening me with her scalpel, and didn't want to eat much of anything, but now she's a friggin vacuum cleaner. Always out an about, and will eat almost anything. Including pellets, flakes, and other fish's poop :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back