Two of corals are receding and I don’t know why.

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just a little over 5 months old and everything is doing fine except my candy cane coral and also the coral in this pic (not sure the name). All my water parameters seem fine. The only thing I haven’t really been testing for yet is calcium because I don’t have a lot of corals in the tank yet and I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks. My other corals are doing great. The Duncan’s are multiplying and so are my clove corals.
Do you think that maybe my tank could be low on calcium and I should start dosing? I’m not sure why the corals are receding.

I’ll include a pic of my entire thank so you can see what I have. It’s a red Reefer 170.
Thanks for your help!

D45A3BDB-42F9-4704-B519-2830366173D3.jpeg C4D0EAE5-5DFB-439E-9DF2-FF93CB0CD78C.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should keep alk, mag and cal all within range. Helps keep PH consistant and keeps the elements readily available for coral uptake.

If one is low, it can throw off the overall balance.

Your alk level should in my experince dictate a balanced calcium level to keep consistant.

I enjoy this reef calculator because it will tell me what the calcium should be when my alk parameters are entered.

Screenshot_20210403-093733_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot! I didn’t know about this calculator. Yes I need to keep my parameters more stable. I don’t think they very too much but they definitely do vary. Thanks again for the link!

Back