Two out of 6 fish in order have these marks

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want some more eyes on this. I received 6 Chromis today from Live Aquaria and two of them appear to have physical damage. One of them has already perished.

chromis.jpg

It appears to be physical damage, there is another one with almost the same damage on it's side. Physical or is this some kind of infection or something that may spread to the rest? Just wondering is anyone else has seen this.. Ended up being a terrible order from LA as a bag of 8 Mexican snails was dead as rotting upon arrival as well. Not sure how long till the basement stops stinking!!

Gloryofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working at a LFS in Washington, I used to see those marks on green chromis that didn't ship well a lot. In my experience, they are pretty delicate when it comes to shipping while they are small.

OP
OP
EddieJ

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kinda of what I was thinking .. They are small fish .. Just want to rule out some crazy disease that will take out the rest of them.

Fumanchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see those on my chromis every night every fish even freshwater change there coloration and markings at night you can tell physical damage by loss of scales or bruising. I'm not an expert but I don' believe trauma was the cause of death .

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately uronema spreads easily and rapidly. Chromis are very susceptible to it. Formalin bath, transfer into a new QT, and then dose metro or chloroquine phosphate (CP) for 14 days. CP is a much better treatment if you can get a hold of any.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

I've been down this road. . . good luck!

OP
OP
EddieJ

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it sure looks like Uronema marinum. @Humblefish , Seachem Metroplex the best route to treat the batch of 5 ? They are in a QT tank, was day one of TTM.. I assume it's best to treat them all at this point correct?

OP
OP
EddieJ

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the above on uronema. Starting treatment at fist signs of the disease is a must, or even before specially with chromis and anthias.
Metroplex is the treatment but I usually have had better success mixing it with kanaplex and furan2.
I'm told CP works on it as well but no personal experience with it against uronema.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; CP is best for treating Uronema. Metro is a bit more hit or miss, as is a formalin bath. A 5 min FW dip can provide temporary relief until you find one of the above meds.

OP
OP
EddieJ

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second one perished.. the other 4 are healthy and eating in the QT. Picked up some Metro and dosed it.. think I will move them to a new QT tank tomorrow and have that dosed with Metro as well.. figure they will go thru TTM with Metro.. Survival of the fittest at this point... I need to talk with my Vet and see if I can get a script for the CP. I do want to have that on hand as I will be stocking my new tank and all the fish/inverts go thru QT... Probably good to have that one around. .

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second one perished.. the other 4 are healthy and eating in the QT. Picked up some Metro and dosed it.. think I will move them to a new QT tank tomorrow and have that dosed with Metro as well.. figure they will go thru TTM with Metro.. Survival of the fittest at this point... I need to talk with my Vet and see if I can get a script for the CP. I do want to have that on hand as I will be stocking my new tank and all the fish/inverts go thru QT... Probably good to have that one around. .

To be honest, you don't have time to get a Rx for CP to save them. I would give them all either a formalin bath or FW dip, transfer them into a new/sterile QT and begin dosing metronidazole every 48 hrs.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the above on uronema. Starting treatment at fist signs of the disease is a must, or even before specially with chromis and anthias.
Metroplex is the treatment but I usually have had better success mixing it with kanaplex and furan2.
I'm told CP works on it as well but no personal experience with it against uronema.
Agree this is uronema

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck I’m done with trying green chromis. I’ve ordered 6 now and down to zero. How are they classified as hardy beginner fish. I’ve never had problems with fish until I tried these silly fish. Each with the same fate.

Back