Two Pairs of 4 Day Old Conjoined Dwarf Seahorses Born in my Tank

huwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post on the forum!
Just about a month ago, I finally got dwarf seahorses again, setting up a slightly experimental tank for them in a 34g Solana cube AIO... So far so good, with 19 adults and several babies with more on the way! 4 days ago, one of my pregnant males gave birth to a handful of healthy little baby ponies... including not one- but TWO pairs of conjoined twins! At birth, all 4 heads were alive. I didn't think they'd survive long, but they've already exceeded my expectations and made it to 4 days old.

The video was recorded yesterday, and the pictures are from when they were under an hour old. Since I'm not observing them 24/7, I can't say for certain whether or not they've been eating, but watching them grow so far and learn to coordinate with their respective twins has been awesome. Since they're growing at a normal rate, I'd have to imagine they are eating. I have been watching them closely and they seem to be doing pretty well so far, but due to the nature of these kinds of things I'm prepared for sudden death any day. It's rare enough as it is for just one pair of conjoined twins, but two to be born consecutively in the same brood? That's not something I've ever heard of happening before...

IMG_8950.jpg

IMG_8949.jpg

Pic of dad:
IMG_9009.jpg

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be interesting to see how they do over time. I wonder if it’s because of inbreeding over time. Not know where you got them from and if they came from and how many generations in captivity.
Keep us updated. Like to see if they survive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back