Two shrimp, two bags: A story of doubt

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just received my first two cleaner shrimp and they're currently floating. I was under the impression they would be in the same bag as I bought them in a pair. Can I drip acclimate them in the same bucket or should I acclimate them in separate buckets.

Two buckstes would be rough as I'd have to let one float in the tank till the drip line wasn't in use as I only have one.

I know inverts are sensitive just don't wanna have my first death due to stupidity.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not have an ato. Good to know. I don't think I acclimated my clown right I did the bag method and changed out cups and added cups method, but I think I topped with ro water but he seems fine. Been so for a month. Glad I asked!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your tank size it might not make much of a difference. However, when you are doing your normal top off it is with fresh water because you are correcting for the evaporation. When water evaporates the water molecules leave, but he salt stays behind, so when topping off you're adding the pure water back in. In the case of acclimation your are scooping out water from the tank, so both the water and the salt are leaving. That is why you want to but both salt and water back in.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression they would be in the same bag as I bought them in a pair.

It’s a good idea to used separate bags when shipping live fish etc, not only because they might hurt each other being bumped around but also separate bags means more water so dilutes the waste the fish will produce whilst travelling, sounds like you used a good supplier

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think one of them is in shock he was just fine then kinda froze up he's moving a little but just laying on its side. The other bigger one is just cleaning it. Should I wait and see or is that guy a loss

Attachments

• 20200528_124058.mp4
    30.2 MB
OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He stands if he is put up and moved if I put my finger near him but he's sluggish

20200528_124705.jpg

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good idea to used separate bags when shipping live fish etc, not only because they might hurt each other being bumped around but also separate bags means more water so dilutes the waste the fish will produce whilst travelling, sounds like you used a good supplier

After I typed out my original message I figured there was a reason to ship in two. The one I think is going into shock had alot of waste in the bag at least one of them is doing great

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died he stopped moving completely and started getting pushed around by the flow. I was able to scoop him in my hand and nothing. I'm glad I got 2 so at least I got one in there happy :/

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check if there is any kind of guarantee from the shop.

It was NY aquatic it said on the invoice only a two hour after delivery garuntee he died hour 3 in my possession. Plus he's already been tossed and they would want pics and stuff.

I lived I wasted 20 bucks I learned lol

I wish I would've taken pics when he was in the bag tho the bag water was so much cloudier than the other bag and there was alot of waste in the bag

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was NY aquatic it said on the invoice only a two hour after delivery garuntee he died hour 3 in my possession. Plus he's already been tossed and they would want pics and stuff.

I lived I wasted 20 bucks I learned lol

I wish I would've taken pics when he was in the bag tho the bag water was so much cloudier than the other bag and there was alot of waste in the bag

worth asking, maybe suggest next time you buy from them they include a cleaner, saves them the shipping just sending out the shrimp by itself.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back