Two species of Xenia on a Rock?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Xenia have sweeper tentacles or anything? I was wondering if I could put two types of Xenia on an island?

I currently have the normal pink/purple pulsing Xenia but I was thinking of adding a Silver Xenia coral onto the same island.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not be a problem. Xenia can become a pest and take over your tank.

I've noticed, they grow like crazy and split pretty fast. I'm expecting some to leave the rock pretty soon. I need to figure out how people frag xenias and all that soon.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed, they grow like crazy and split pretty fast. I'm expecting some to leave the rock pretty soon. I need to figure out how people frag xenias and all that soon.

Literally take scissors and snip snip snip. I've even seen people actually take a handful and rip it off the rock. Make sure you run activated charcoal since xenia have chemicals which can poison fish and other corals (not like palytoxin so it can't harm humans but it'll mess with your system)

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally take scissors and snip snip snip. I've even seen people actually take a handful and rip it off the rock. Make sure you run activated charcoal since xenia have chemicals which can poison fish and other corals (not like palytoxin so it can't harm humans but it'll mess with your system)

So say i cut it half an inch from where it connects to the rock. what happens to that half in left on the rock will it grow or decay?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So say i cut it half an inch from where it connects to the rock. what happens to that half in left on the rock will it grow or decay?

Should grow back as long as you didn’t cause major damage to the coral base

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should grow back as long as you didn’t cause major damage to the coral base

If you don’t want to worry about the base just use a razor blade and scrape it off the rock. I think most people frag like this but it takes more effort

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back