Two srange translucent featherlike appendages?

bedbuggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It moves around, albeit slowly. I saw it more fully using a flashlight during the night-- the body appeared to be the size of a grain of rice and nearly invisible. Two small black dots that could be eyes? It seems to filterfeed with the tentacles/antennae. Not a vermitid, theres no tube and it can move. Attached a video that shows as much as I could. Very hard to photograph due to size and transparency.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    24.3 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a benthic Ctenophore. Most of them are sessile (i.e. they don't move), but a handful of them are known to creep along slowly. There are reports that they may irritate corals, but they seem to be mostly harmless filter feeders.
Benthic ctenophores, a type of comb jelly. From what I have read, they are predominantly harmless filter-feeders, though may grow over corals:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/white-stringy-things.773728/
1661272450759.png

1661272460648.png
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
bedbuggie

bedbuggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How interesting! the cnetophore ID seems most accurate, especially the structure of the "antennae"-- but the "body" looks more like a worm or amphipod almost. I'll try to catch it and isolate it for better pictures the next time it creeps out of the rockwork, if possible.

OP
OP
bedbuggie

bedbuggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to remove it and take photos-- it certainly seems to be a cnetophore. I am worried I damaged its tentacles upon removing it (I used a pipette.) but I decided to return it to my tank out of novelty. I will remove it if it begins irritating anything.

829FEE1C-0BEC-4385-B485-487EEADABC7B.jpeg 32C86F0C-FFE6-46CE-B3D7-B1188DB313EA.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back