Two weeks treatment with copper power the fish still rub against the substrate

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have two weeks with treatment with copper power at 2.5 ppm because I had suspicions that maybe they had velvet but I never really saw any symptoms on their skin just that they were swimming against the wave maker. now after 2 weeks my fish are still rubbing against the substrate and turning pale, the good thing about this is that they are all still eating but my suspicions are that they are Flukes, i did 2 treatments of prazipro, and they haven't helped, maybe They have a parasite that is resistant to Prazipro.
What do you recommend I do?
Remove the copper and start another treatment?
Thank you!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of fish are they?
Did you do the prazi before the copper? If so, how long ago? Egg laying flukes are tough to get rid of because the prazi doesn’t kill the eggs.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have two weeks with treatment with copper power at 2.5 ppm because I had suspicions that maybe they had velvet but I never really saw any symptoms on their skin just that they were swimming against the wave maker. now after 2 weeks my fish are still rubbing against the substrate and turning pale, the good thing about this is that they are all still eating but my suspicions are that they are Flukes, i did 2 treatments of prazipro, and they haven't helped, maybe They have a parasite that is resistant to Prazipro.
What do you recommend I do?
Remove the copper and start another treatment?
Thank you!!
Please clarify how long you did the copper treatment and when you began Prazi and if prazi was how long after copper and how did you treat with the prazi. You said you did two treatments of Prazi. . . . when did you begin prazi and how many days has it been.
Best to check before treating as two weeks that have gone by has allowed what you have going to thrive and intensify.

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are all tangs!!
And yes prazipro was before copper, immediately after prazipro, copper started! two rounds of prazipro, 7 days each.. and now chelated Cooper is in second week completed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are all tangs!!
And yes prazipro was before copper, immediately after prazipro, copper started! two rounds of prazipro, 7 days each.. and now chelated Cooper is in second week completed
It’s probable that the flukes returned after the prazi and into the copper treatment, the timing is about right. You may need to run prazi and copper at the same time - not the best thing to do, be sure to aerate the tank really well.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probable that the flukes returned after the prazi and into the copper treatment, the timing is about right. You may need to run prazi and copper at the same time - not the best thing to do, be sure to aerate the tank really well.
Do you recommend that I finish the copper treatment all four weeks? and dose praziPro together with copper? Because I had thought to stop copper and maybe start with hyposalinity

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the fish in qt right now?
Have you been consistently checking copper? If the substrate is sand, it could be absorbing copper and keeping the level below therapeutic range.

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been constantly checking the copper with a hanna test. I have always kept it above 2.5 with fluctuations between 2.5 and 2.6ppm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, your post seemed to be blank…..
Jay

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, when my fish have had flukes I found it helpful to give them a dip using Ruby Reef Hydroplex. You still need the other treatment in a hospital tank but it does kill the parasites on their body and it is low stress because you use saltwater. Good luck!

Back