Type of glue for magnets in sump

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some ceramic magnets to glue to baskets for my refugium. I have to keep my macro algae in baskets to keep it from going from the 2nd sump back into the first. If I screen the flow pipe from one sump to the other, it would clog up with the ulva or chaeto. So I have a basket. It rests on the top of the rocks but I want to replace it with 2 narrower and long baskets and use magnets to attach to the sump glass.

What kind of glue can I use? Will e6000 be safe or do I need to stick to gel superglue--which doesn't always hold long term

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know a whiff about ceramic to plastic glue, and what you are thinking about doing isn’t that clear from your description. Post a picture (in white light) so we can visualize the problem and maybe some one will come up with glue or a 3d printer solution?
Im Confused Mtv GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny - I was just researching E6000 glue for another reef application, and I'm surprised that it is used in reef aquariums. All the warnings on the company websites and MSDS sheets say stay away from water and food applications, and it even says specifically not to use it in aquariums - which seems to indicate the type of toxicity we want to avoid for our critters? Does anyone else have contrary info about E6000?

If it is just a thin plastic basket - you might not even need to glue the magnet to it (if I'm understanding correctly) - if they are strong enough, put one on the inside of the basket and see if it attaches to the outside of the sump with the other.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just a thin plastic basket - you might not even need to glue the magnet to it (if I'm understanding correctly) - if they are strong enough, put one on the inside of the basket and see if it attaches to the outside of the sump with the other.
I could try that.

Here is my scenario. I thought I could use clips but the fuge walls are too far above the water. I'd need a super deep baskets to do that so that they were in the water. So I want to use magnets like our algae clips and powerheads etc. I even have extra powerhead mags I could try without glue.

I tried with 2 ceramic mag. I don't think they will hold. Baskets might be too heavy--and too long (white ones). I don't want to do magnets on the sides as that blocks from from 1st compartment to the back fuge area.

Here are my choices right now
20220616_212824.jpg
20220616_212830.jpg

Here is what I have--just sitting on the rock. Ulva on right, chaeto in small basket. I'd like 2 baskets held on the right but not blocking the flow where it come in
20220616_212910.jpg

Here you can see how high up the sump wall goes. Down on the bottom of the picture, where the powerhead is, is an opening for flow to go from front to back. I can't block this.
20220616_212947.jpg

this pic is the entire second sump. There are 2 flow-throws bottom left, front coming in, back, going out (in theory)
20211122_102649.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are a few places that sell plastic/rubber coated neodymium magnets. I used to make frag racks and use neodymium magnets and I used epoxy coated magnets for the outside part. I would not use these for the inside as the surface can have micro scratches and eventually salt will get through. On the inside part I used a pretty strong 3/4" x 3/8" neodymium magnet incased in polyester casting resin. That part would be a pain for your application, but maybe one that is pre-coated with plastic, or rubber.
You could start with the ceramic magnet on the inside of the basket and try a strong neodymium magnet on the outside.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I bet the powerhead mags would work. And if not, looks like a couple zip ties attaching the magnet to the outside of the basket would be easier than glue, as long as the zip ties themselves don't interfere with the magnet's ability to grab the other magnet through the sump wall...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought might be to use the diy netting and form a hammock from one side to the other and clip on all 4 sides so it so it is in the water but above all in/outlets? That way the chaeto can free float but very little will get through the net yet water flow should be able to

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a floating net basket arrangement would serve you well?
Something like these could work:Hopefully this link works
theres are other floating plant retaining set ups that might fit the application? HTH.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a floating net basket arrangement would serve you well?
Something like these could work:Hopefully this link works
theres are other floating plant retaining set ups that might fit the application? HTH.
Not a bad idea if one could cut some of the foam off as the macro algae needs water flow. Maybe cut up pool noodles pieces? Or thin rod-like foam. A def. idea to look into

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea if one could cut some of the foam off as the macro algae needs water flow. Maybe cut up pool noodles pieces? Or thin rod-like foam. A def. idea to look into
Yup, net + flotation is all these are and they work simple enough.
An interesting diy project if you can’t find one that fits your particular application. Avoiding magnets and the corrosion issue is a plus in my experience.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back