UC Candy Apple Porties Colony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hcker99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has the be the brightest porties we've ever gotten in. $400 shipped for the colony.

IMG_4878.jpg

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I believe that is an encrusting goniopora and not porites, best of luck with the sale.

OP
OP
hcker99

hcker99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I believe that is an encrusting goniopora and not porites, best of luck with the sale.

It actually came in as a gonipora but after sitting it with our other porties the polyps size and shape look closer to a porties.

I'm actually going to change the title to show porties/goni just incase we're wrong I'd never want to someone to think we misrepresented a coral. Either way its sweet looking :)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar piece I bought as porites as well, not sure what makes it that but your not alone. Very nice piece!

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try making it close up a bit so it's not as dense and take a macro shot, then you can count how many tentacles are on it per polyp. If it's an encrusting goniopora it'll have 24 tentacles per polyp, based on what I just researched porites should have 12 tentacles? We can safely dismiss alveopora simply because of the polyps themselves, the tentacles would be more rounded on the tips whereas those are more tapered. Based on what I can see I believe it to be a encrusting goniopora simply because of the density, porites polyps generally aren't as thick and because they have less tentacles the skin itself should be showing.

Sorry I'm a bit late, but congrats on the sale.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old thread back to life! I got a large growout of this. Did you end up figuring out if it was a Goni or porites?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back