Ugh hydra 64 fell in water

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the shelf came off wall an it canopy an nock light in water pulled out an was flicking. Un plugged aand took cover off an blowed it out an put rice on it. What are the chances that it will work.

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See

image.jpg

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the shelf came off wall an it canopy an nock light in water pulled out an was flicking. Un plugged aand took cover off an blowed it out an put rice on it. What are the chances that it will work.
I’d like to say good but...brace yourself for disappointment. You’ve done the right thing though. As good a shot as anything.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Sorry this happened :( I hope it works after the rice treatment

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Make some 0 TDS rodi water and wash the light in it to remove the salt then let it dry and then put in in the rice.
I did an sprayed some maf sensor cleaner on it to man less the 3 weeks too

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was it in water? You may be surprised but I’d agree with Crabs

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ 2 to 3 seconds then started going on an off before I kill the power

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several website with posts on recovery of immersed electronics. Usually it's stuff spilled on laptops but the process is the same. Any salt film left behind will draw moisture from the air and cause corrosion and short circuits.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get some 99% isopropyl alcohol, open it up, and paint the chips with it.... Steer clear of the diodes though. My strong guess is that it’s toast, although the new ones supposedly have better water resistance, the flickering and going out means it shorted.

I would actually 100% call AI customer service tomorrow, explain what happened, and see what they offer/recommend. They are fantastic, I mean truly fantastic to work with. Given what happened they probably won’t do it for free, but you might be shocked what kind of swap deal they offer you. Heck, they replaced a dead hydra 26 HD that came from Redsea for me two months out of warranty and without a receipt (they have serial numbers, and they knew it’s use dates from the app). Give it a shot.

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea
You can get some 99% isopropyl alcohol, open it up, and paint the chips with it.... Steer clear of the diodes though. My strong guess is that it’s toast, although the new ones supposedly have better water resistance, the flickering and going out means it shorted.

I would actually 100% call AI customer service tomorrow, explain what happened, and see what they offer/recommend. They are fantastic, I mean truly fantastic to work with. Given what happened they probably won’t do it for free, but you might be shocked what kind of swap deal they offer you. Heck, they replaced a dead hydra 26 HD that came from Redsea for me two months out of warranty and without a receipt (they have serial numbers, and they knew it’s use dates from the app). Give it a shot.
yea I traded my Vega with no controller or power for it an it was 400 bucks I will call the in the morning they still have one more of my old Vega so we will see I dropped my I phone in pool an put it in rice for a day an it worked that was before the water proof ones so we will see. I’ll keep y’all posted. Ugh

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea

yea I traded my Vega with no controller or power for it an it was 400 bucks I will call the in the morning they still have one more of my old Vega so we will see I dropped my I phone in pool an put it in rice for a day an it worked that was before the water proof ones so we will see. I’ll keep y’all posted. Ugh

Huge difference between the amount of power that can flow through this and an old iPhone when submerged... Who knows, hopefully it still works.... I’d be super cautious and watch it closely if it does for a while tho, high power/heat/ damage can = fire.

Did it blow the GFI?

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge difference between the amount of power that can flow through this and an old iPhone when submerged... Who knows, hopefully it still works.... I’d be super cautious and watch it closely if it does for a while tho, high power/heat/ damage can = fire.

Did it blow the GFI?
No it did not

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I thought it will come on with power light
Flash green an red but won’t connect to app an also ask to update but can’t connect to the web

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send it in to be fixed? Next time you hang lights above your tank have them connected to a kill switch like a jet ski has. You will probably have to make one DIY style. If a electronic device falls into water and it is turned off 99/100 it will be fine if you completely dry it out. If it is energized and gets wet 99/100 it will fail. Electronic components are sensitive to resistance and electrical changes.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like already mentioned thoroughly rinsing with RO / DI (0 tds) water is your best bet for self repair followed by air drying with fan and then into rice for a couple days.. if you try to apply power before completing these steps.. most likely game over for your light.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I phone in pool an put it in rice for a day an it worked that was before the water proof ones so we will see. I’ll keep y’all posted.

your pool didn’t have salt in it.. big difference, any electronics dropped into salt water need to be immediately rinsed, wash or submerged in RO/DI water and then thoroughly dried before attempting to power up.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Hydra, tell them what happened they may replace or give you a deal on new one. It IS the holiday season!

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called ai San will send in for repair that said they would diagnose an see. But he did say they have repair some that looks like it was on the bottom of tank for months lol

OP
OP
Aswswild

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your pool didn’t have salt in it.. big difference, any electronics dropped into salt water need to be immediately rinsed, wash or submerged in RO/DI water and then thoroughly dried before attempting to power up.
Salt pool not as much but it is a saltwater pool u can taste it. But yea I will wait an see

Back