Ugh. On the Hunt For a Stand, Not Knowing Where to Start.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

As some of you may have seen, I won a brand new Coralife 32 gallon BioCube last week. It arrived two days ago & once we got it upstairs & unpacked, we realized that the (very solid) dresser that we had planned on setting it on is not deep enough & the tank hangs off a couple inches.

I don’t have any other furniture I can put it on, so I’m having to form a Plan B.

1.) I read on a few other posts that when other people had this issue, they essentially extended the depth of the stand by drilling a few pieces of wood on the back, but I’m not sure how effective that method is, nor am I handy in the least & I wouldn’t trust my handiwork.

2.) I could hunt for an actual stand, but as this kind of fell into my lap, I’m not ready to drop the $200 that I’m seeing these stands go for. I’ve looked around on CL & the FB Marketplace in hopes of lucking our on a preowned one, but of course I haven’t really found much.

3.) I could have a stand built, but I don’t know anyone who does woodworking. Is there anyone in our group who makes affordable, simple stands?

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could put together something simple for you, but shipping it to Alabama would raise the cost a bunch.

Depending on what you are looking for, someone on your local forum can probably help you out. Another option is your local Woodcraft or other similar store - they would certainly be able to help you out.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is Goodwill or DAV stores, I found a solid tv stand for $15.00 for my QT.

IMG_20180415_165315.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions

get it, who wants to spend 200 on a stand for no reason. But it’s not a cheap hobby, so even with the free tank, which is way cool and helpful to someone looking to get into the hobby, you should consider the costs of stocking and maintaining a healthy tank

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It it's only a couple of inches too small you could go to Home Depot or Lowe's with the measurements of your tank base. Make it an inch or so bigger all around. They will cut you a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the correct size. Take it home and paint it or stain it and put that on your dresser.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions

get it, who wants to spend 200 on a stand for no reason. But it’s not a cheap hobby, so even with the free tank, which is way cool and helpful to someone looking to get into the hobby, you should consider the costs of stocking and maintaining a healthy tank

I’m in no way new to this hobby— I started back in 2005 & have had multiple setups; I am well aware of the costs of upkeep & stocking. I took an absence from the hobby for about 5 years & this just kind of fell into my lap, a tank wasn’t on my radar but I’m happily setting it up, just trying to do it as affordably as possible. If I can get out of dropping $200 on a stand & putting it into LR & some optional equipment, I’d rather do that.

Thanks.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is Goodwill or DAV stores, I found a solid tv stand for $15.00 for my QT.

IMG_20180415_165315.jpg

Ahhh! I didn’t even think of that! I just know once I get it fully stocked, it’s probably going to weigh around 500 pounds, so I need to make sure whatever I find is sturdy! I’m going to go check out some TV stands. That is such a great idea!

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could put together something simple for you, but shipping it to Alabama would raise the cost a bunch.

Depending on what you are looking for, someone on your local forum can probably help you out. Another option is your local Woodcraft or other similar store - they would certainly be able to help you out.

That’s so sweet of you! You’re right though, the shipping would be killer! I really do appreciate the offer, though. :)

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It it's only a couple of inches too small you could go to Home Depot or Lowe's with the measurements of your tank base. Make it an inch or so bigger all around. They will cut you a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the correct size. Take it home and paint it or stain it and put that on your dresser.

This is probably what I would do.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh! I didn’t even think of that! I just know once I get it fully stocked, it’s probably going to weigh around 500 pounds, so I need to make sure whatever I find is sturdy! I’m going to go check out some TV stands. That is such a great idea!
I think I'd feel pretty good about having it on a TV stand. TVs back in the day weren't exactly light.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty handy with woodworking. See pics below of things I recently built. I live in Harvest. I am happy for you getting this free tank and would be happy to help out. If you pay for the wood I will build it. We would just need to decide on what the overall size needs to be. I build things for my Daughter and Granddaughter regularly.
IMG_1837.JPG

I built this stand for my 225 gal tank just working on covering now after insulating stand.
IMG_1841.JPG

Book case I built for my Granddaughter a few weeks ago.
IMG_1680.JPG

This is a pergola I recently built for my wife.

I also have quite a bit of clean dry rock. I took down my tank a few years back and cleaned all of the rock. It has been dry for a few years so not live but it is nice rock.
Just let me know if I can help.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty handy with woodworking. See pics below of things I recently built. I live in Harvest. I am happy for you getting this free tank and would be happy to help out. If you pay for the wood I will build it. We would just need to decide on what the overall size needs to be. I build things for my Daughter and Granddaughter regularly.
IMG_1837.JPG

I built this stand for my 225 gal tank just working on covering now after insulating stand.
IMG_1841.JPG

Book case I built for my Granddaughter a few weeks ago.
IMG_1680.JPG

This is a pergola I recently built for my wife.

I also have quite a bit of clean dry rock. I took down my tank a few years back and cleaned all of the rock. It has been dry for a few years so not live but it is nice rock.
Just let me know if I can help.

Ahhh! I just saw this. You are SO talented. I wish I would’ve seen this beforehand.

I had a friend throw a stand together for me, & so far so good! Thank you so much.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back