Ugly stage has begun (I think)

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my tank has been running for about 2 months now. I have 2 clowns, diamond goby, and a cleaner shrimp. Been checking parameters 2x a week just to make sure I got the testing down pat for all the test, I use salifert test for now. Im starting to get a rusty colored looking algae covering my rocks. Its not bad but I wanted some input if anyone could tell what exactly it is from the pictures. Do I just let it run its course or is it something I need to personally take care of. The second picture you can tell how white the rocks were cause the sand bed was there and then my goby moved all the sand around it, you can tell the difference in the color of the rock there.

dKh: 8.3
Cal: 425
Mag: 1300
N: 15
P: .2

20200731_225913.jpg 20200731_230005.jpg 20200731_225942.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my tank has been running for about 2 months now. I have 2 clowns, diamond goby, and a cleaner shrimp. Been checking parameters 2x a week just to make sure I got the testing down pat for all the test, I use salifert test for now. Im starting to get a rusty colored looking algae covering my rocks. Its not bad but I wanted some input if anyone could tell what exactly it is from the pictures. Do I just let it run its course or is it something I need to personally take care of. The second picture you can tell how white the rocks were cause the sand bed was there and then my goby moved all the sand around it, you can tell the difference in the color of the rock there.

dKh: 8.3
Cal: 425
Mag: 1300
N: 15
P: .2

20200731_225913.jpg 20200731_230005.jpg 20200731_225942.jpg
Let it run its course.
Have you trained your goby and shrimp to do their chores yet?
Get to work boys.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run its course.
Get to work boys.
I wish the goby would take a break from his chores once in awhile, he constantly rearranges the sandbed but at least he does keep it extremely clean. The shrimp on the other hand dont do much of cleaning he prefers to just wait until I feed the fish. I got some snails coming this week though hopefully will help out a little.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run its course.
Get to work boys.
I wish the goby would take a break from his chores once in awhile, he constantly rearranges the sandbed but at least he does keep it extremely clean. The shrimp on the other hand dont do much of cleaning he prefers to just wait until I feed the fish. I got some snails coming this week though hopefully will help out a little.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you get a pistol shrimp you may not even see any brown on your sand. Once I got mine, that tank is no longer mine :p , it's his sand bed.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a pistol shrimp you may not even see any brown on your sand. Once I got mine, that tank is no longer mine :p , it's his sand bed.
Thats probably next on the invert list that will be going in there. I kinda feel like that with the goby as it is though. I gave up on fixing the sandbed lol I just wont be able to have any scolys on the sand bed which is fine but I just wish he would quit putting the sand on the rocks in the middle of my aquascape. I wanna put a torch or hammer there but I'll probably have to get a larger one or let it grow out before I place it there to deter the goby and so he doesnt bother it with throwing sand on it.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats probably next on the invert list that will be going in there. I kinda feel like that with the goby as it is though. I gave up on fixing the sandbed lol I just wont be able to have any scolys on the sand bed which is fine but I just wish he would quit putting the sand on the rocks in the middle of my aquascape. I wanna put a torch or hammer there but I'll probably have to get a larger one or let it grow out before I place it there to deter the goby and so he doesnt bother it with throwing sand on it.

If you want to keep anything on the sand, I don’t recommend the pistol shrimp. Mine literally moves corals on the sand bed and I’ve found multiple halfway in its den. It managed to move a kenya tree that’s like 4x his size :rolleyes: However, their interaction with the goby is awesome and imo one of the more interesting symbiotic relationships :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back