(UK) I'm Looking For Rare Macroalgae

EverydayAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm looking for some rare macroaglae species within the UK. I already have quite an extensive collection of macroalgae (list below) however there are lots of species I cant find but I know they are out there!

Please let me know either in this thread or pm if you have any available. I am willing to swap for my species.

I am looking more specifically for halymenia species such as Halymenia durvillei (Dragons Tongue), Halymenia dilatata (Dragons Breath), Caulerpa paspaloides (Palm Caulerpa). Note the latin names not common names as many things are called "Dragons tongue/breath" but are actually misidentified Gracilaria hayii etc. Halymenia is slimey to the touch, Gracilaria hayii is not.

There are also numerous other species I would like to please contact me if you have anything a bit unusual available.

My available species for trade/swap:

Botryocladia sp.
Gracilaria hayii
Gracilaria tikvahiae (grey & green)
Gracilaria parvispora
Cryptonemia crenulata
Codium
Red hair "Chondria"
Caulerpa lentillifera
Caulerpa racemosa
Caulerpa prolifera
Caulerpa taxifolia
Blue hypnea
Cladophora prolifera
Halymenia floridana
Halymenia maculata
Ulva lactuca
Chaetomorpha

Many thanks,

Everyday Aquarist

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the stuff you mentioned, are available from GulfCoast Ecosystem .

While I have purchased much of your list from live-plants, many did not survive shipping stress. I have found uncured diver collected live rock is rhe best source of rare macro. Because of heavy herbivore grazing in the Gulf of Mexico, when I get live rock from the divers, it is clean of macro and shows of colorful. bryozoans, tunicates, sponges etc, etc, etc

[This rock is fully blanketed with colorful coralline algae's, these algae's come in multitudes of fascinating shades of purple, reds, oranges, peaches and yellows. Most rocks contain bryzoans,orange leather sponge,gracilaria algae,halimeda, sea grapes, cluster corals, and cup corals. All of our premium decorative live rocks contain seeded plant life,both macro and micro algae.All pieces are hand collected fresh from our gulf lease site by our diving staff and shipped directly to our customers.We do not use any chemicals in our process. The rocks pictured are for example only. All of our premium decorative live rock is as good or better than the rocks pictured.]

The live rock in these pictures is 4 months removed from Gulf of Mexico.o

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EverydayAquarist

EverydayAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the stuff you mentioned, are available from GulfCoast Ecosystem .

While I have purchased much of your list from live-plants, many did not survive shipping stress. I have found uncured diver collected live rock is rhe best source of rare macro. Because of heavy herbivore grazing in the Gulf of Mexico, when I get live rock from the divers, it is clean of macro and shows of colorful. bryozoans, tunicates, sponges etc, etc, etc

[This rock is fully blanketed with colorful coralline algae's, these algae's come in multitudes of fascinating shades of purple, reds, oranges, peaches and yellows. Most rocks contain bryzoans,orange leather sponge,gracilaria algae,halimeda, sea grapes, cluster corals, and cup corals. All of our premium decorative live rocks contain seeded plant life,both macro and micro algae.All pieces are hand collected fresh from our gulf lease site by our diving staff and shipped directly to our customers.We do not use any chemicals in our process. The rocks pictured are for example only. All of our premium decorative live rock is as good or better than the rocks pictured.]

The live rock in these pictures is 4 months removed from Gulf of Mexico.o

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
That's beautiful, however I live I the UK, as stated in the title so an unable to order from gulf Coast eco systems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back