W@tchm@n

W@tchm@n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks .
I have a 250 US gallon system, skimless. I use an ATS and refugium (hang-on back and another in the sump ) for filtration as well as Macroalgae in the display itself.

With 2 kids it’s a mess mixing water in the kitchen.

I have sent them an email query with my requirements.
Nice.. Let us know how you get on...
I have been very impressed and am really happy with the water itself and the service is great too.

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I live in Cornwall about 5 mins away from the sea and I am going to do my first water change with NSW I collected on the incoming tide. I’m not to worried as I’ve only got a few snails in my tank as a clean up crew but hopefully everything should go ok. I’ve checked ph nitrite nitrate and ammonia from the water I’ve collected and everything is perfect.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very interested to see your progress. Having been down to Cornwall a lot and seeing how crystal clear the water is, I am sure it will be fine if collected away from the tourist spots. Are you going to run it through a UV first?

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very interested to see your progress. Having been down to Cornwall a lot and seeing how crystal clear the water is, I am sure it will be fine if collected away from the tourist spots. Are you going to run it through a UV first?
I done the water change this morning. Have not passed it through a UV filter. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I’ll update as I go along.

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been 24hrs since I done a water change using sea water from my local beach. Carried out the usual tests and all is ok. I’ve just added 2 camel/dancing shrimps after an hour of drip acclimatisation. Will be monitoring them closely over the next 24 hrs

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my water with NSW fifty years ago and am still monitoring it. So far, so good. :cool:

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my water with NSW fifty years ago and am still monitoring it. So far, so good. :cool:
This is my first marine tank and I rufuse to pay the extortionate amount for sea water at my lfs. After doing plenty of research I’ve found it’s quite safe to use.

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few more additions to the tank earlier this week and they’ve settled in well( touch wood). Just done a 15% water change using NSW. I will test water parameters tomorrow. Fingers crossed all will be well

Kent Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new to marine aquariums. I have had tropical but moved to marine. I have got a 500 litre tank. I just need to get rock and water then I'm ready to go. I live on the coast in uk. How have you guys been getting on with uk sea water? If water is ok is the rocks st the beech ok to use ? Or a no no dont take from the sea.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new to marine aquariums. I have had tropical but moved to marine. I have got a 500 litre tank. I just need to get rock and water then I'm ready to go. I live on the coast in uk. How have you guys been getting on with uk sea water? If water is ok is the rocks st the beech ok to use ? Or a no no dont take from the sea.
Sea Water, depends where you live if your near a run of area your water might be polluted, I have heard that some people go miles out in a boat to collect cleaner water. As for the rock you would be better off buying it IMO.

Kent Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Water, depends where you live if your near a run of area your water might be polluted, I have heard that some people go miles out in a boat to collect cleaner water. As for the rock you would be better off buying it IMO.
Thanks. I'm going to be going off joss bay in Kent. Away from the ships and ports. Or a friend has a boat and he is going to take me out on it and fill up some containers. I am going to go for a fish only aquarium for this tank. Then as confidence grows corals will be added. I have a large refugium and hoping to get a great system going. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm going to be going off joss bay in Kent. Away from the ships and ports. Or a friend has a boat and he is going to take me out on it and fill up some containers. I am going to go for a fish only aquarium for this tank. Then as confidence grows corals will be added. I have a large refugium and hoping to get a great system going. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks
Just remember your going to be investing a great deal of money in your system and you need to make sure the basics are correct and the basic is the water especially if your going to keep corals.

Unless the water has been tested for chemicals and pollutants from a reputable source, you can’t be sure what’s in it and you could quiet easily wipe out your tank.

And welcome to R2R as well by the way, and maybe start a build thread when you get chance

Kent Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember your going to be investing a great deal of money in your system and you need to make sure the basics are correct and the basic is the water especially if your going to keep corals.

Unless the water has been tested for chemicals and pollutants from a reputable source, you can’t be sure what’s in it and you could quiet easily wipe out your tank.

And welcome to R2R as well by the way, and maybe start a build thread when you get chance
Thanks . My tank is second hand I couldn't afford a new one but I have re done the cabinet so looking good it is 5 ft bowed and been drilled and plumbed for a sump. I still have a few purchases to get. I need lights and uv steraliser and skimmer. Saw the thread regarding the water and thought that could be an option down the line for me. I shall try get some pics up once I have it up and running

Kent Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys hope you can help. I have finally got up and running. I got one slight hitch. I cant get the water level set in over flow it is either too much and gargles. Or too high and uses emergency overflow. I have one fully open and one 3 quarters open at most. Pump is at half its max power. Seems ok for a while go back and it changed.
Any advice?
sorry not on topic of natural sea water.

Hellybell80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've bought NSW from my lfs to start my new marine aquarium. After it was added I tested the salinity. It was 1.030. Which was quite high. The lfs said it was what sea water naturally was. I'm not convinced since all the research obviously says 1.025. I have added RO water to dilute it a bit. Is this normal for sea water? I was thinking in their storage its evaporated somewhat.
I want to continue to use the NSW but it looks like I will have to adjust the salinity before it goes in my tank.

Kent Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started collecting nsw my self. I have found the salinity to be higher, so i have to dilute it with ro to get it right for my tank.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back