Ultra Pure Water in Reef Tank

FreeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have access to a lot of free Ultra Pure Water (UPW) whenever I want. I mixed up 45 gallons of it into my new E-170 and it took 14 cups of salt to get to 1.021 salinaty. I think it only should have taken me 11.25 cups. My ATO reserve is full of the UPW. Is this water too clean for a reef tank?

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no such thing as too clean. What do you use to measure salinity? How was it calibrated? How long did you mix for before testing?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could even go higher on salinity. May also want to get a TDS meter to see just how clean the water is.
Welcome!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have access to a lot of free Ultra Pure Water (UPW) whenever I want. I mixed up 45 gallons of it into my new E-170 and it took 14 cups of salt to get to 1.021 salinaty. I think it only should have taken me 11.25 cups. My ATO reserve is full of the UPW. Is this water too clean for a reef tank?
I use coral pro salt and it's right around 1/2c per gallon to get the salinity I want.

OP
OP
F

FreeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPW is about 400 time more pure than RODI water. Look it up on Wikipedia. I work in the semiconductor sector. That’s is why I have access to it. I put the UPW in my ATO reserve tank and about a day later the tank started leaking. I think it leached the adhesive in the tank.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is temp dependent, not sure what RS use as their “standard” for mixing. RODI/UPW shouldn’t make a difference since they are both neutral starting points

Curious, if RODI unit is functioning correctly at 0TDS how would UPW be 400x more pure?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first article I found on it. I don't think I would use this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-171340_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210302-171340_Chrome.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 43

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the entire article. No way I would use this stuff in my reef.

OP
OP
F

FreeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m torn because I make the water and reading that article it’s obvious that author really doesn’t know what they are talking about. The title is meant to grab a lot of clicks. UPW has zero algae in it and RODI can still have organic material in it. RODI water is not “pure” water. Pure water is almost impossible to make. The real way to see how pure your water is to measure its resistance. RODI typically has resistance of 50,000 ohms and UPW has about 18,000,000 ohms. So I guess UPW about 360 times cleaner. I think unless I see more information on UPW is continue using it and then let you guys know how it goes. It’s a new tank and my clowns so far seem fine. I’ll slowly add stuff and see what happens.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also think it leeched the adhesive in your tank. Good luck. I just wouldn't use it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m torn because I make the water and reading that article it’s obvious that author really doesn’t know what they are talking about. The title is meant to grab a lot of clicks. UPW has zero algae in it and RODI can still have organic material in it. RODI water is not “pure” water. Pure water is almost impossible to make. The real way to see how pure your water is to measure its resistance. RODI typically has resistance of 50,000 ohms and UPW has about 18,000,000 ohms. So I guess UPW about 360 times cleaner. I think unless I see more information on UPW is continue using it and then let you guys know how it goes. It’s a new tank and my clowns so far seem fine. I’ll slowly add stuff and see what happens.
I’m interested to see the effects but also remember that being too pure could potentially be another issue

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just water. Nothing dangerous about it. Mixing to proper salinity by volume is not going to be as consistent as you may prefer.

However it is a waste of an expensive resource. Costs per liter are about $0.25-1.50 depending on the system. So whomever is gifting you the water is out $42.50 - $255.00 after filling your tank.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those articles are ridiculous. Anyway you’ll be adding salt mix back in an it won’t be ultra pure after that

It probably is overkill. I think you’ll want to also make sure you really aerate it well, since it’s almost certainly devoid of dissolved gasses.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, you should see how much is just dumped down the drain each day.
Then I don’t see the downside of using it... free ultra pure water sounds like a good deal.

You also think it leeched the adhesive in your tank. Good luck. I just wouldn't use it.

Its not going to leach anything since it’s going to be seawater after adding a salt mix. Again, just make sure you aerate it like you should with RODI anyway.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back