Ultra Reef Akula Skimmer Review

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do they come a auto shut off just in case it overflows
There is no auto shutoff, you would need to get one of those waste containers that have an auto shutoff switch or create your own optical or float switch that would shut off the skimmer which you can do using a breakout box if you use an apex

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no auto shutoff, you would need to get one of those waste containers that have an auto shutoff switch or create your own optical or float switch that would shut off the skimmer which you can do using a breakout box if you use an apex
This^

I was going to add a float valve to my skimmer collection cup, however there is not really enough space because of the concave design of the lid.

However, the only times I’ve had it overflow is when the power goes out or I dosed chemiclean. It’s rock solid.

I added an off command in apex for when the return pump is off.

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I have a UR Borei 120 running on my 38g Cade. Just curious what speed others run their DC pump at? I would imagine full speed is the default (although the manual suggest starting at 50% probably to prevent overflowing), but curious if there's a reason to run it less than 100% of it’s not overflowing. I have a 2 week old tank with low organics, so trying my best to tune it for this state, which may be futile (I've read everything from matching sump intake to 1x system volume, running a low organic tank at lowest pump speed, etc)

Also, want to confirm that for the newer models with the thicker air intake screwed to the skimmer, that screwing or unscrewing the silencer cap does not affect air intake. From what I gather, at least for the Borei, there is no air intake adjustment, only water level and DC pump speed.

Thanks all, and absolutely beautiful tank @SunnyX.

IMG_5890.PNG

Last edited:

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I have a UR Borei 120 running on my 38g Cade. Just curious what speed others run their DC pump at? I would imagine full speed is the default (although the manual suggest starting at 50% but not sure the rationale for this), but curious if there's a reason to run it less than 100%. I have a 2 week old tank with low organics, so trying my best to tune it for this state, which may be futile (I've read everything from matching sump intake to 1x system volume, running a low organic tank at lowest pump speed, etc)

Also, want to confirm that for the newer models with the thicker air intake screwed to the skimmer, that screwing or unscrewing the silencer cap does not affect air intake. From what I gather, at least for the Borei, there is no air intake adjustment, only water level and DC pump speed.

Thanks all, and absolutely beautiful tank @SunnyX.

IMG_5890.PNG
it will depend on your water intake and your sump water level. I have my speed set around 4 or 5. If I have it at max it will overflow, my water level is quite high

Rmike545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

You will want the water level to be just below or at the line shown below. I have found this to be the best level for performance.

Concerning the bubbles, that is a personal choice as some like to skim wet or dry. I like to skim a little on the wetter side.

I would remove the skimmer cup and then power up the skimmer. Adjust the valve until the bubbles are slightly pouring over. Then attach the cup and let is run for a day. After which, if there is not enough skimmate being pulled you can adjust the value to open or close, increasing or decreasing the level of water in the skimmer.

It'll likely take you a few days to dial it in properly but once set, you really wont have to mess with it again. Mine has been set at its current setting for over a year now with no adjustments.

After a year of operation I can say that this skimmer is flawless, worry free, and does a fantastic job. I am not sponsored in anyway with the skimmer. I am just a happy customer sharing my experiences.

1688832132829.png

1688832286198.png
Hi Sunny,
You helped a while back with the UR skimmer to tune it, and it worked great for a while however I added a klir DI-7 filter roller and since I have been having some issues to get to skim right it’s either too wet or it doesn’t skim at all just reaching out to see if you ever used yours with any type of roller mat m, my NO3 and PO4 are rising daily and I know for a fact that skimmer can handle the bioload.
I also bought the dc pump conversion for it but I always have it set at 100%.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you purchase a skimmer you sized it to the DT and load, but by adding a filter roller it is removing most of the junk, now your skimmer is too big. So your skimmer is waiting for the waste level become big enough for it to skim, this is why I believe in a perfect world, get a roller and 1 size down skimmer, neck cleaner and waste container.

Rmike545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is kinda 1 size down it’s a 193 gallon display with 66 gallon sump and I am running an Akula uks 200 lol.

Rmike545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you guys had to raise the water level pass the line on the wedge pipe for the skimmer to skim ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back