Ultra Reef Akula Skimmer Review

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your guys skimmer have the ultrareef logo on the side? I bought mine from BRS and it has no logo on the side . Almost looks like a generic knockoff version of the uks. Just hoping it's not some refurbished models they are selling or something .

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a knockoff. We are the US distributor and we sell Ultra Reef to BRS and other dealers in the US and Canada. It's more probable that Ultra Reef didn't apply a sticker to the skimmer before it was boxed up and sent to Aquarium Specialty.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a knockoff. We are the US distributor and we sell Ultra Reef to BRS and other dealers in the US and Canada. It's more probable that Ultra Reef didn't apply a sticker to the skimmer before it was boxed up and sent to Aquarium Specialty.
Yeah I figured that might be the case. Just seemed strange to "forget" to put a logo on your product but I guess it happens. Thanks for the reply.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure Ultra Reef can send us some extra stickers if you would like one. The only thing is you would have to dry off and clean up the skimmer for it to stick properly.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your guys skimmer have the ultrareef logo on the side? I bought mine from BRS and it has no logo on the side . Almost looks like a generic knockoff version of the uks. Just hoping it's not some refurbished models they are selling or something .
I touched base with Ultra Reef about the stickers. They decided to stop using the stickers on the skimmer body. They tend to wear down over time or get damaged. They are now displaying the logo and name on the collection cup lid with a more durable 3D type raised “sticker”.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I touched base with Ultra Reef about the stickers. They decided to stop using the stickers on the skimmer body. They tend to wear down over time or get damaged. They are now displaying the logo and name on the collection cup lid with a more durable 3D type raised “sticker”.
Got it. Makes sense. Thanks for following up!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know my answer, but wanted to double check. On this model: https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/ultra-reef-ukb-120-protein-skimmer.html , there is no way to collect skimmate in an external container right?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UKB-120 is the only model that doesn’t have a drain line. With some careful drilling, you could probably make one if you really need to but I don’t see the need for it. By the time your collection cup fills, you will want to have taken the cup off and clean the cup and neck for better efficiency.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a hold of AquaDriver and they said the AquaDriver Helix 160 will fit the Ultra Reef Akula 160.

Tips on contacting AquaDriver: goto their Facebook page and message them there. They will respond so quickly. But their contact form/email is a black hole.

I also measured the cup outer diameter and neck inner diameter and got:
Cup OD: 160mm exactly
Neck ID: 73mm exactly

Now, I did this by using a centimeter ruler. I couldn't find any better measuring tools. But I did spend at least 10 minutes making sure I was finding the right measurement.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UKB-120 is the only model that doesn’t have a drain line. With some careful drilling, you could probably make one if you really need to but I don’t see the need for it. By the time your collection cup fills, you will want to have taken the cup off and clean the cup and neck for better efficiency.
Are you able to disclose when the sale will end? I am going out of town this week and was going to purchase one when I get back, but didn't want to miss the 15% sale

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping someone can help me . I started up my UKS-160 for the first time today and I can not get it to stop overflowing aggressively over the top while the cup is off. The instruction states to close the valve until it is at the edge but not overflowing but I have turned this knob 100 times and it is still aggressively overflowing over the edge. What could be going on?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping someone can help me . I started up my UKS-160 for the first time today and I can not get it to stop overflowing aggressively over the top while the cup is off. The instruction states to close the valve until it is at the edge but not overflowing but I have turned this knob 100 times and it is still aggressively overflowing over the edge. What could be going on?
when you first get a skimmer, do not try and set it to skim right away. the skimmer needs to break in. OPEN the effluent adjustment knob all the way and let it run for a few days until you get a stable foam head. Once you get a stable foam trying to push up to the cup, SLOWLY close the effluent a full 360 turn at a time. After each adjustment just leave it for a day, then close it another turn, wait another day (and so on). Once the foam head is stable and high enough to push into the cup, lust leave it and let it do it's thing.

Adjusting it out of the box to skim will only cause frustration because each tweek has to have time to re-adjust and stabilize. If you don't give it enough time between adjustments you'll start over each time and want to throw a skimmer out the window LOL

hang in here and open it up (full air too)

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you first get a skimmer, do not try and set it to skim right away. the skimmer needs to break in. OPEN the effluent adjustment knob all the way and let it run for a few days until you get a stable foam head. Once you get a stable foam trying to push up to the cup, SLOWLY close the effluent a full 360 turn at a time. After each adjustment just leave it for a day, then close it another turn, wait another day (and so on). Once the foam head is stable and high enough to push into the cup, lust leave it and let it do it's thing.

Adjusting it out of the box to skim will only cause frustration because each tweek has to have time to re-adjust and stabilize. If you don't give it enough time between adjustments you'll start over each time and want to throw a skimmer out the window LOL

hang in here and open it up (full air too)
Hi. Thanks so much for the response. I just want to clarify this. So right now I have it closed and letting it run without the cup and it is just aggressively overflowing over the edge. Your suggestion is to OPEN the valve and let it continue to run? I only ask because when I open it, it is like the eruption of mt vesuvius. I don't mind but just want to clarify this is what I need to do. Also when you say open the air what do you mean? The only adjustment option on this device that I see is the main turning knob .

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Thanks so much for the response. I just want to clarify this. So right now I have it closed and letting it run without the cup and it is just aggressively overflowing over the edge. Your suggestion is to OPEN the valve and let it continue to run? I only ask because when I open it, it is like the eruption of mt vesuvius. I don't mind but just want to clarify this is what I need to do. Also when you say open the air what do you mean? The only adjustment option on this device that I see is the main turning knob .

"opening" allows more water to flow out of the body of the skimmer, lowering the level of water. So if you open it all the way, you shouldn't see any Mt Vesuvius eruptions.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should have the effluent wide open and the air wide open. post a video of it running. Also how deep are you running it? the skimmer should have a dial for the effluent and the white knob for the air (has airline in bottom)

sounds like you may be messing with the all white air dial. leave Air wide open and leave the water outlet (effluent) wide open.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run the air wide open on all my skimmers (dial or not). I've played around with them over the years and found them to be tedious. they will help create a finer bubble which can give you a more concentrated skimmate but if a skimmer is properly designed and matched to the pump/impeller, you shouldn't need to mess with the air.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should have the effluent wide open and the air wide open. post a video of it running. Also how deep are you running it? the skimmer should have a dial for the effluent and the white knob for the air (has airline in bottom)

sounds like you may be messing with the all white air dial. leave Air wide open and leave the water outlet (effluent) wide open.

Are we talking about the same skimmer? There is no air adjustment knob on the Akula 160 at least.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about the same skimmer? There is no air adjustment knob on the Akula 160 at least.
Sorry, thinking of my 160 which is the older version. mine has a PVC thumb screw to adjust the air. So the white cap on the silencer of the new model isn't adjustable? i was under the impression that cap turned to close off the air intake hole on the side.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back