Um should I destroy my wife’s angelfish???

daer119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so we have a mixed coral tank and most everyone is doing well and seems happy. Then my wife went to the lfs and brought home a Pygmy angelfish which they claimed was fine to have in a reef tank! After doing research we saw they could possibly be very not fine for a reef tank. Well we recently added my now favorite coral a stylophora. After letting it get used to the tank we raised it higher and it really seemed to be happy... however I noticed today that my Frankenstein lepto and the stylophora both seem to have issues. The lepto has this white chunk missing and has a few protrusions, and the stylophora has a small bare part at the bottom with a little white piece hanging from it! Does this look like the work of something pecking at it?... the angelfish? We haven’t seen it mess with any corals but we also aren’t watching it 24/7. Or does it look like something else? We have two clowns and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

Thanks for any help!
P.S. The angelfish will come to no harm if it is indeed him. Lfs said we can bring it back if it bothers our corals.

P.S.
5D731DEB-EA5D-476C-9B93-1E60AB66700F.jpeg
A8FE78B1-552F-4288-B3FD-E6B20B45E0FE.jpeg
2CCDEB54-E314-4B9C-8253-B411A540F2BA.jpeg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angelfish > frags any and every day. Angelfish will pick at coral, but they're not necessarily picking at the polyps -- very often, they'll just pluck off detritus and/or anthropods on the coral itself. Certain other species of fish (ie. matted filefish) are much more consistently destructive, but always seem to get a pass.

Let's see some pics of your angel instead!

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick it out with the angelfish, he’a just trying new stuff. I have 5 in my mixed reef and they so pick from time to time. I find they are kind of like a puppy, they are curious as could be and explore everything with their mouth. Heavy handed feeding helps too, but make sure your filtration and nutrient export is on point.

OP
OP
D

daer119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angelfish > frags any and every day. Angelfish will pick at coral, but they're not necessarily picking at the polyps -- very often, they'll just pluck off detritus and/or anthropods on the coral itself. Certain other species of fish (ie. matted filefish) are much more consistently destructive, but always seem to get a pass.

Let's see some pics of your angel instead!
I’ll keep an eye on it, I got up to take a pic of him but lol was being shy but will post one when I get a good one. He really is a pretty fish.

OP
OP
D

daer119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick it out with the angelfish, he’a just trying new stuff. I have 5 in my mixed reef and they so pick from time to time. I find they are kind of like a puppy, they are curious as could be and explore everything with their mouth. Heavy handed feeding helps too, but make sure your filtration and nutrient export is on point.
Thanks for the info and encouragement. We both really like him, and they are pretty fish. Glad to hear there’s hope. And I’ll keep that in mind about maybe having heavier feeding and export. Usually do about 10% each week which everyone seems to like.

OP
OP
D

daer119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't destroy your wife's anything. Give it back to the store if you continue to notice damage to the corals.
Lol glad you told me not to! That thing was a goner! I was jk, like I said no harm would come to it. We both really like it, and with the responses it seems like we still might be okay with keeping it. Really pretty fish.

OP
OP
D

daer119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be other reasons for some flesh missing. I would not be purging the angel without evidence.
Completely agree. Any ideas? Only other thing I have in the tank is 2 clowns and and a shrimp. Does it look like bacterial infection?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree. Any ideas? Only other thing I have in the tank is 2 clowns and and a shrimp. Does it look like bacterial infection?

Maybe it was there when you bought it. Stability issues.. adjusting… if only we knew… corals can lose polyps or get dead areas for a huge number of reasons… many we don’t seem to pinpoint.

OP
OP
D

daer119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so he'll become more of a jerk to every other fish you try and put in there
well that’s just lovely! It is a cherub angel. its only a 25gal Waterbox so we were thinking maybe just adding a goby for the sand and that be it for the fish in the tank. So far no issues with the clowns, and it was pretty amazing to see the shrimp cleaning it, seems to have a good relationship with him so far.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back