Unable to connect IceCap Dual Gyre Wifi Controller — no longer supported?

renaturalist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new to R2R, so apologies in advance if I'm breaking protocol in any way :grimacing-face: I recently bought an unopened, new-in-box IceCap Dual Gyre Pump WiFi Controller from a local reefer who assured me that it was still supported despite the fact that is listed as "retired" by aquarium suppliers like CoralVue. I did my due diligence by reaching out to a CoralVue support member as well, who confirmed that "We do not have any of those controllers anymore. If you can find one they do still connect to the app but you will not be able to update it." So, I went ahead and made the purchase. Unfortunately, I went to set it up in the Hydros app (iPhone, iOS 16.4) today and keep getting the error message "Firmware Update Required! The firmware in this unit is outdated and will not operate with this app. Please update the firmware. You can also click below to use an older web version of this app temporarily" but when I open the web version, I get the exact same error message. Can anyone help me find a way to connect and use this controller, or did I just get duped? (Not assuming bad intentions by the seller, just disappointed that I couldn't have figured this out ahead of time). Thanks!

P.S. I see recent posts on here by folks wanting to buy this unit. Does this mean they are similarly unaware of the lack of support by the Hydros app? Or does this mean that it still works on some people's systems (different phone OS, etc.)? If the latter, I may end up trying to sell it if I can figure out how that works on here :)

1680228863848.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably want to submit a support ticket here https://support.coralvue.com/submit_ticket#login or post on the Hydros facebook group or the Hydros forum with this issue. As far as I know it will still work with the correct firmware. You will have to join the Hydros groups to post but there are a lot of people on both and I am sure several on facebook group and Hydros forums still use these controllers.

They replaced it with the Hydros wave engine LE. The new controller is capable of being in a Hydros collective. The IceCap was not so that was the only reason for the change. I do believe they are supported. They just are on longer in production.

OP
OP
renaturalist

renaturalist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably want to submit a support ticket here https://support.coralvue.com/submit_ticket#login or post on the Hydros facebook group or the Hydros forum with this issue. As far as I know it will still work with the correct firmware. You will have to join the Hydros groups to post but there are a lot of people on both and I am sure several on facebook group and Hydros forums still use these controllers.

They replaced it with the Hydros wave engine LE. The new controller is capable of being in a Hydros collective. The IceCap was not so that was the only reason for the change. I do believe they are supported. They just are on longer in production.
Thanks, Danny. I've just submitted a CoralVue ticket and am awaiting a reply. Appreciate the pointer!

Dmudd782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Danny. I've just submitted a CoralVue ticket and am awaiting a reply. Appreciate the pointer!
Did you ever get this figured out? I’m currently dealing with the same issue and just bought them new. Would love to hear some feedback!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get this figured out? I’m currently dealing with the same issue and just bought them new. Would love to hear some feedback!
Did you try downloading the firmware and installing it in the app? They did stop updating the firmware so I am not sure what the last update version is so you might want to do the same as the OP and submit a support ticket. They answer tickets Monday through Friday so they may mot have replied yet.

OP
OP
renaturalist

renaturalist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just resolved this yesterday (Monday)! CoralVue responded promptly to my ticket by asking that I simply connect the controller to wifi so that they could push out a firmware update. Resolved the issue right away and everything's up-and-running for me now.

OP
OP
renaturalist

renaturalist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try downloading the firmware and installing it in the app? They did stop updating the firmware so I am not sure what the last update version is so you might want to do the same as the OP and submit a support ticket. They answer tickets Monday through Friday so they may mot have replied yet.
As you can see from my response above, users can no longer resolve this themselves when setting up a new controller because CoralVue has stopped automatically updating the firmware. That said, they can still push out updates to all such controllers connected to WIFI, so that's what they did for me this week. Great support, I must say!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from my response above, users can no longer resolve this themselves when setting up a new controller because CoralVue has stopped automatically updating the firmware. That said, they can still push out updates to all such controllers connected to WIFI, so that's what they did for me this week. Great support, I must say!
Thanks for the replay so anyone else here has the issue they will know how to deal with it. My understanding is the main reason for going to the wave engine lite is so it can be integrated into a collective with other Hydros controllers. The original IceCap controller cannot.

OP
OP
renaturalist

renaturalist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replay so anyone else here has the issue they will know how to deal with it. My understanding is the main reason for going to the wave engine lite is so it can be integrated into a collective with other Hydros controllers. The original IceCap controller cannot.
Yup, that's what I learned as well. Glad there's still a solution for the IceCap controller, though!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back