Unacceptable and officially fed up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
So I’ve posted before at my disappointment in the reefbot, but now I’m past disappointment and am now at anger and want something done.
I’ve had my reefbot for approximately 4 - 5 months now and it has yet to produce any kind of legitimate results for more than 1 consecutive day. The company has used me as basically their own technician in an attempt to get it to work. I’ve had to replace the stirrer assembly, pumps, micro chips, needles, the list goes on and on. Yet still it will not work.
Now it won’t even connect to my WiFi and so it won’t run anything at all and still I have no solution from them. I’ve asked what would it take for them to get me a working reefbot and have gotten no response. It would be one thing if we were talking about some $200 item but this is a $900 piece of equipment. Not to mention how much I’ve spent on trying different test kits.
If anyone from ReefKinetics reads this, you people should be ashamed of putting out a product you aren’t willing to stand behind. I’ve read 100’s of stories like myself. I’m tired of having to wait days for a response and tired of working on it in general.
This needs to be made right and the only thing at this point is either a full refund or a new reefbot. To be honest, getting a new reefbot doesn’t even sound appealing. I doubt anything will happen as a result of this but maybe this post will save someone $1000 in hopes they want to avoid this nightmare of a product altogether.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yikes.

OP
OP
ddaddy2420

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
So we finally got the WIFI working only to have the device that lifts the needle fail. Heard a clicking noise and found the needle in the down position hitting everything. Machine just kept on running bending the needle. So now it’s down again with no repair in sight.

it’s amazing these people were able to get this device out like this. I’ve had to replace or modify some part or component of almost every piece of this thing.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your frustration. When it comes to technology, there is a fine line between the leading edge and the bleeding edge.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Kickstarter type startups and a few vocal proponents can do a lot of hype on the internet.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
im with you on being disappointed with this product. I have number 302 and for the first 2 years of ownership it worked pretty much flawlessly, I would get results that were consistent and I could rely on it when I was out of town for months at a time. I believed in this product so much I almost invested into the doser but that hasn't come out yet... This year I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS and I cannot have those issues while being away from the tank for extended periods of time. Started having connectivity issues(plugged in via ethernet), no readings, vials moving out of place, needles bending, needles getting clogged with septa, etc. Being early adopters we are supposed to report problems we face so they are able to fix it...I have made numerous fix suggestion such as the schedule not working properly, waste container is not as accurate, and I just configured a way to keep the vials straight so I don't experience any bent needles.

Well I officially had enough and decide to upgrade my apex classic to an el so I could get the trident as well as run the dos. I was able to get all this stuff on sale thanks to thanksgiving so that helped my decision. Also running the numbers on maintenance/ test reagent the trident came out loads cheaper!!! Since ive been running the trident for a week or so+ the controlled dosing I could not be happier ( I had to buy 2x everything for my 2 tanks so I jumped head first lol)! The results come back consistent and the trident controlled dosing does a fantastic job in keeping the levels stable. I was able to score some 6month reagent on sale so im good for 6 months. Ended up buying the needle guides as ive heard they are helpful in getting the full 2 months out of reagent.

Im sorry this is a long post but I needed to vent this out as I have been meaning to post a thread for reefkinetics to respond to. I want them to be successful but I feel they tinker with the machine too much to ever make it reliable and without consulting the community that holds the product. I feel that they do not use the feedback we give them to make their product better. I will still make a post eventually as attention needs to be on this machine to get fixed.

Happy reefing and thanks for letting me vent :)

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes I agree this product should not be supported for the best of the hobbyists.

Many invested into a model and didn’t get what they hoped for.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
im with you on being disappointed with this product. I have number 302 and for the first 2 years of ownership it worked pretty much flawlessly, I would get results that were consistent and I could rely on it when I was out of town for months at a time. I believed in this product so much I almost invested into the doser but that hasn't come out yet... This year I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS and I cannot have those issues while being away from the tank for extended periods of time. Started having connectivity issues(plugged in via ethernet), no readings, vials moving out of place, needles bending, needles getting clogged with septa, etc. Being early adopters we are supposed to report problems we face so they are able to fix it...I have made numerous fix suggestion such as the schedule not working properly, waste container is not as accurate, and I just configured a way to keep the vials straight so I don't experience any bent needles.

Well I officially had enough and decide to upgrade my apex classic to an el so I could get the trident as well as run the dos. I was able to get all this stuff on sale thanks to thanksgiving so that helped my decision. Also running the numbers on maintenance/ test reagent the trident came out loads cheaper!!! Since ive been running the trident for a week or so+ the controlled dosing I could not be happier ( I had to buy 2x everything for my 2 tanks so I jumped head first lol)! The results come back consistent and the trident controlled dosing does a fantastic job in keeping the levels stable. I was able to score some 6month reagent on sale so im good for 6 months. Ended up buying the needle guides as ive heard they are helpful in getting the full 2 months out of reagent.

Im sorry this is a long post but I needed to vent this out as I have been meaning to post a thread for reefkinetics to respond to. I want them to be successful but I feel they tinker with the machine too much to ever make it reliable and without consulting the community that holds the product. I feel that they do not use the feedback we give them to make their product better. I will still make a post eventually as attention needs to be on this machine to get fixed.

Happy reefing and thanks for letting me vent :)

Probably the most frustrating thing to read that it WAS working flawlessly and has just gone down hill. They WERE doing something right at one point and now it's just chaos.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Probably the most frustrating thing to read that it WAS working flawlessly and has just gone down hill. They WERE doing something right at one point and now it's just chaos.
Man I know, I relied heavily on this product and made the initial investment, Yes it did have its quirks and most of them would be user error but now...it just sits until they get their stuff together :rolleyes:. I just wish that they would give us the option to upgrade firmware or at least release a notification of exactly what was "improved" I will most likely make my own post to relate in even more detail of my experience and what needs to change.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Man I know, I relied heavily on this product and made the initial investment, Yes it did have its quirks and most of them would be user error but now...it just sits until they get their stuff together :rolleyes:. I just wish that they would give us the option to upgrade firmware or at least release a notification of exactly what was "improved" I will most likely make my own post to relate in even more detail of my experience and what needs to change.

Is there a way to downgrade the software? Or do a factory reset? Or does it automatically reinstall the updates?

OP
OP
ddaddy2420

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
I have unit 712 and mine has had one problem after another for 4 straight months. And it’s not just the issues but the responses I get. It’s as if the people responding don’t know the product. At one point I was being instructed to bend the piece of metal that holds the vials because the stirrer was dragging across the bottom of the vials. And when they got around to sending me a new motor for the stirrer it had the wrong connection so I couldn’t plug the new one in. This kind of stuff shouldn’t be happening.

And when I finally got it giving me results for 2 straight weeks, I finally noticed I was getting the same kH and same nitrate and same phosphate values day in and day out. Almost as if the unit was being told to come back with a certain number only it was the same number for each test. I’m to the point where even if it’s fixed I don’t know I would trust it, something fishy about all that.

OP
OP
ddaddy2420

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
So finally after almost 5 months of BS, working on this reefbot, waiting on them to reply to issues, getting the wrong parts, etc... I get a response this morning...

Hady Osailly writes
Hello Dale, I see you have been going through a lot of issues and still are. Please do not fix anything anymore. Apologies for everything you've been through. I will be sending you a replacement reefbot

I almost fainted. I guess we will see if they follow thru, and more importantly what kind of shape their new units are in. I know enough about this product by now, I’ll be able to tell if it’s new and how it’s working fairly quickly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back