Unbeatable Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) - Blue/Regal/Hippo Tang

argcargv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

I've had my Blue Tang in quarantine since the 20th of November 2020. After the initial purchase, I noticed that my Blue Tang had started to develop what I initially had thought was Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich), but upon further reading and observing the behavioural and visible symptoms [0] of my Blue Tang I was certain that my Blue Tang had Amyloodinium ocellatum (Marine Velvet).

I moved with a sense of urgency and began treatment in my quarantine tank immediately using Cupramine [1]. In the first two weeks of treatment my Copper levels were relatively lower than the recommended therapeutic levels of (< 0.3 ppm - 0.5 ppm) as at the time I didn't have an accurate low range Copper test kit and I was scared that I'd dose too much and kill off my Blue Tang. There appeared to be significant improvement after these initial two weeks of treatment in the sense that my Blue Tang skin looked very clean, colouration was back to normal and was exhibiting positive behavioral characteristics. However, this didn't last long and what appeared to be a second outbreak took place over a span of approximately 24 hours. My thought at this point was that this was a direct result of not holding Copper levels at the appropriate therapeutic levels, which may very well have been the case, but now I'm completely confused.

As a result of the second outbreak, I purchased the Hanna Low Range Copper Checker [2] so that I could completely rule out the possibility of reinfection being a direct result of not holding therapeutic Copper levels for a long enough period. It's been several weeks now since the purchase point of the Hanna Low Range Copper Checker and the Copper levels within the quarantine system being consistently within acceptable therapeutic ranges (> 0.3 ppm < 0.5 ppm) and I'm still out of luck. It feels like a forever ending cycle of my Blue Tang getting better and then worse off again. However, the only difference with each iteration is that it feels like it's becoming less severe than the last, specifically referring to the visible physical symptoms with the behavioural symptoms being relatively consistent throughout the time my Blue Tang has been quarantined. Throughout the Copper treatment I've been sporadically giving my Blue Tang freshwater dips, which initially appears to have a positive effect, but then soon enough the relapse occurs. I thought that this may have been a result of putting my Blue Tang back into the same quarantine system after the freshwater dip and not a completely sterile quarantine system, but I'm not entirely sure about that? One of my other running farfetched thoughts, which I don't believe is possible, was that the Amyloodinium ocellatum (Marine Velvet) had built up resistance to the Cupramine treatment and as a result could not be killed off.

I must say, I'm rather perplexed at this point and I'm not sure about what I should be doing to eradicate this disease moving forward.

I attempted to capture some images of my Blue Tang in the quarantine system.

[Date captured: 2021-01-02]
PXL_20210102_024230554.jpg

PXL_20210102_024837222.MP.jpg

[Date captured: 2021-01-07]
PXL_20210107_063113914.jpg

On the positive side of things, my Blue Tang remains to eat crazily throughout this entire process.

[0] https://humble.fish/marine-velvet/
[1] https://www.seachem.com/cupramine.php
[2] https://hannainst.com.au/hi747-copper-lr.html

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try the new TTM method which Humblefish founds works

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure this is parasitic at all? My blue tang had similar problems in copper but humblefish helped me id it as bacterial/viral side effects of copper. Copper suppresses the fish’s immune system and they are susceptible to this, and blue tangs specifically it seems.

I can’t tell from the pictures. Mine had spots that were translucent and more oblong than round. It seemed to change daily. He hid a lot but kept eating. I kept him in 2.0ppm Copper Power for a full 14 days and transferred him out. Everything cleared up within a couple days and he is normal since.

Hope you figure it out!

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure this is parasitic at all? My blue tang had similar problems in copper but humblefish helped me id it as bacterial/viral side effects of copper. Copper suppresses the fish’s immune system and they are susceptible to this, and blue tangs specifically it seems.

I can’t tell from the pictures. Mine had spots that were translucent and more oblong than round. It seemed to change daily. He hid a lot but kept eating. I kept him in 2.0ppm Copper Power for a full 14 days and transferred him out. Everything cleared up within a couple days and he is normal since.

Hope you figure it out!
This. I did 2 14 day copper power treatments at 2 ppm, fW dips, and multiple h202 peroxide bathes, and finally 17 days of TTM. Blue tangs get bad reactions to copper. Best to run the course of treatment, then move to sterile tank and observe. Maybe do a peroxide dip before moving if any are stubborn. Also try quarantining with a black molly. If velvet or ich persists, they will show up immediately.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

I've had my Blue Tang in quarantine since the 20th of November 2020. After the initial purchase, I noticed that my Blue Tang had started to develop what I initially had thought was Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich), but upon further reading and observing the behavioural and visible symptoms [0] of my Blue Tang I was certain that my Blue Tang had Amyloodinium ocellatum (Marine Velvet).

I moved with a sense of urgency and began treatment in my quarantine tank immediately using Cupramine [1]. In the first two weeks of treatment my Copper levels were relatively lower than the recommended therapeutic levels of (< 0.3 ppm - 0.5 ppm) as at the time I didn't have an accurate low range Copper test kit and I was scared that I'd dose too much and kill off my Blue Tang. There appeared to be significant improvement after these initial two weeks of treatment in the sense that my Blue Tang skin looked very clean, colouration was back to normal and was exhibiting positive behavioral characteristics. However, this didn't last long and what appeared to be a second outbreak took place over a span of approximately 24 hours. My thought at this point was that this was a direct result of not holding Copper levels at the appropriate therapeutic levels, which may very well have been the case, but now I'm completely confused.

As a result of the second outbreak, I purchased the Hanna Low Range Copper Checker [2] so that I could completely rule out the possibility of reinfection being a direct result of not holding therapeutic Copper levels for a long enough period. It's been several weeks now since the purchase point of the Hanna Low Range Copper Checker and the Copper levels within the quarantine system being consistently within acceptable therapeutic ranges (> 0.3 ppm < 0.5 ppm) and I'm still out of luck. It feels like a forever ending cycle of my Blue Tang getting better and then worse off again. However, the only difference with each iteration is that it feels like it's becoming less severe than the last, specifically referring to the visible physical symptoms with the behavioural symptoms being relatively consistent throughout the time my Blue Tang has been quarantined. Throughout the Copper treatment I've been sporadically giving my Blue Tang freshwater dips, which initially appears to have a positive effect, but then soon enough the relapse occurs. I thought that this may have been a result of putting my Blue Tang back into the same quarantine system after the freshwater dip and not a completely sterile quarantine system, but I'm not entirely sure about that? One of my other running farfetched thoughts, which I don't believe is possible, was that the Amyloodinium ocellatum (Marine Velvet) had built up resistance to the Cupramine treatment and as a result could not be killed off.

I must say, I'm rather perplexed at this point and I'm not sure about what I should be doing to eradicate this disease moving forward.

I attempted to capture some images of my Blue Tang in the quarantine system.

PXL_20210102_024230554.jpg

PXL_20210102_024837222.MP.jpg

[Date captured: 2021-01-07]
PXL_20210107_063113914.jpg

On the positive side of things, my Blue Tang remains to eat crazily throughout this entire process.

[0] https://humble.fish/marine-velvet/
[1] https://www.seachem.com/cupramine.php
[2] https://hannainst.com.au/hi747-copper-lr.html
Copper resistant parasites haven’t actually been documented that Ive ever heard, and it would not occurred during your single treatment....if we ever do see that, it will be from dealers running low dose copper in their systems for many years.
I don’t think this was velvet- that is actually pretty rare, and doesn’t linger, it kills quickly.
Despite your good photos, I couldn’t see enough to make a good diagnosis. At this point I’m thinking it is one of three things: ich that just hasn’t been completely eliminated, flukes, or as mentioned, the odd spots hepatus tangs sometimes get after copper treatment.
Jay

OP
OP
A

argcargv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Thanks for all the speedy responses and opinions on this, highly appreciated.

I'm now of the opinion that this was indeed a response to the extended Cupramine treatment as oppose to actually being anything parasitic. I must say that it's rather difficult to perform an accurate diagnosis given that there's quite a lot of symptom overlap between all the different fish diseases out there.

Over the last few days I have done several water changes in attempt to lower the Copper levels within the quarantine system and thus far I'm already seeing a positive response. I will continue with this approach until Copper is no longer present within the system and hold the Blue Tang in there for another two weeks.

I will provide another update on how this is progressing in another week or so.

Thanks once again all!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back