Unboxing of live rock from gulfliverock.com

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is raw footage that I have no idea how to edit that my granddaughter filmed for me so please forgive the unprofessionalism

This is the 17lb nano premium deco live rock from gulfliverock.com

I am placing in a 5 gal temporary tank until I get it cleaned up.

VideoCapture_20210121-135106.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice cant wait to see video. I have 200lbs in my system and it came with tons of coral and inverts on it. Too bad I let it sit at airport for 11hrs in 110 degree weather. I experienced a ton of die off. Hopefully you got your in water asap.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great video. Towards the end of video looks like you have an oyster living on a oyster as far as loose piece.
Almost 100% of my clams and oysters lived. Id say your going to end up with tons of live corals popping up. I'm still noticing new ones after a year.

Be careful stack rock on top of eachother is only thing I'd say pay attention to. Especially the clams and oysters. Id let things settle for a minute and go back through and make sure your not crushing any corals.

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About gulfliverock.com ...

I want to mention that I'm a newbie and have no idea how much of this is dead. It was in shipping 2-3 days. This is my guess. I ordered it on Monday and it arrived Thursday.

It is obvious to me that it was great rock when it went into the box and can't blame anyone for die off during the shipping.

But I also want to mention for anyone thinking of ordering that there was no communication between gulfliverock.com and myself. I received a confirmation of order received the moment I paid. Then I heard nothing until the box showed up on the porch today.

I assumed it wasn't coming until next week since I never received a notice that it was sent or tracking number. Just keep that in mind. On that same note I did not reach out to them either. Maybe there would have been more info if I had but no guarantee.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like really nice rocks.. I've always wanted to try pacific, just not willing to do so in a large tank. The nano pack looks like a bunch of really good rock... if I could order just 1 of those rocks it would fill my pico perfectly.

Very nice, good luck with it!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can make use of this post in our microbiology of tank cycling thread under the section for uncured ocean rock cycles

-you have an interesting challenge upcoming on your allowed start date

(everyone uses api, red sea or salifert ammonia to tell them when curing is done)

but there's a catch: those kits when reading low level ammonia are doubted in other posts by forum readers as known over-reports. right now I can link work thread examples where in unison we all agree the ammonia is a false minor misread.

but in ANY questionable cycle such as curing, we all default to accepting every stated nuance as absolute proof you're still curing :)

see that conundrum? olfaction is your referee lol

sure the test kits can indicate massive curing nicely, hard colors...but nearing the finish line they'll still read some well past the ready date, but if you lift that live rock out after several days in water changed water, and it doesn't smell, then its not curing any longer.

*various communities on it aren't necessarily going to agree to die on you by X date, some take months

but the known start date is not weeks and weeks for that stuff, its days if you'll pre remove any of the obvious stuff to be lost like sponges and tunicates, I too have had a live rock clam live 6 years in my tank don't cull them.

*even though some areas will die, you simply have the highest surface area most diverse bacterial loading the rock will ever be, right now. That is an inherent ability to probably scrub 4-8 ppm ammonia every hour right into nitrite/nitrate like machinery

just because a little something dies, that doesn't mean the workhorse is dead. if you keep this water cleaned out and never cloudy smelly, refreshed like CPR water, and pre remove obvious masses to be lost, it w be ready in a week I bet or less. Not eight weeks courtesy of api.

Im curious to know when it smells normal. right now it may, no decay yet. its the bell curve...want to know when it comes back into range of smelling normal after these first few days in circulating water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few pictures of the rock after I scrubbed it and put it in the tank. This is day 3 of being back in water. 100% water change on day 1. Then 50% daily water change.

So much life including 3 large clams that open and close freely. My grand baby gets excited, "Gramma! The rocks are moving!"

20210124_183922.jpg
20210124_184100.jpg
20210124_184108.jpg

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can make use of this post in our microbiology of tank cycling thread under the section for uncured ocean rock cycles

-you have an interesting challenge upcoming on your allowed start date

(everyone uses api, red sea or salifert ammonia to tell them when curing is done)

but there's a catch: those kits when reading low level ammonia are doubted in other posts by forum readers as known over-reports. right now I can link work thread examples where in unison we all agree the ammonia is a false minor misread.

but in ANY questionable cycle such as curing, we all default to accepting every stated nuance as absolute proof you're still curing :)

see that conundrum? olfaction is your referee lol

sure the test kits can indicate massive curing nicely, hard colors...but nearing the finish line they'll still read some well past the ready date, but if you lift that live rock out after several days in water changed water, and it doesn't smell, then its not curing any longer.

*various communities on it aren't necessarily going to agree to die on you by X date, some take months

but the known start date is not weeks and weeks for that stuff, its days if you'll pre remove any of the obvious stuff to be lost like sponges and tunicates, I too have had a live rock clam live 6 years in my tank don't cull them.

*even though some areas will die, you simply have the highest surface area most diverse bacterial loading the rock will ever be, right now. That is an inherent ability to probably scrub 4-8 ppm ammonia every hour right into nitrite/nitrate like machinery

just because a little something dies, that doesn't mean the workhorse is dead. if you keep this water cleaned out and never cloudy smelly, refreshed like CPR water, and pre remove obvious masses to be lost, it w be ready in a week I bet or less. Not eight weeks courtesy of api.

Im curious to know when it smells normal. right now it may, no decay yet. its the bell curve...want to know when it comes back into range of smelling normal after these first few days in circulating water.
I have been testing daily with API. Nothing detectable yet except ammonia. But wanted to let you know I'm smelling it every day. It stinks just a little when I do the water changes but it already stinks a little less everyday. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but hoping for a fast cycle and am going to trust my nose before I trust the test kits.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any problems arise if I were to add some of this rock to an established tank?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back