Unboxing of live rock from gulfliverock.com

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing daily with API. Nothing detectable yet except ammonia. But wanted to let you know I'm smelling it every day. It stinks just a little when I do the water changes but it already stinks a little less everyday. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but hoping for a fast cycle and am going to trust my nose before I trust the test kits.
Depending on die off you may not experience any kind of cycle at all.
I've taken this rock thats been fully cured and put in fresh mix saltwater in emergencies and never experienced a cycle or issues.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any problems arise if I were to add some of this rock to an established tank?
If you got it direct from ocean yes. But will experience die off given the amount of time its out of water.
Totally agree with poster that stated this rock really should be shipped in ocean water. Id bet if shipped over night in ocean water probably wouldn't experience much if any die off if temps where held in check with ice or heat packs.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing with rock like this with a ton of life, it's often beneficial to attempt to determine the "orientation" of the rock. Ie, which side was facing up in the ocean. Especially if you are going to hit it with lights and try to keep some of it alive. Some critters hate the light, and will not respond well if they are on top, and obviously vice-versa with others like corals.

It's not always easy to tell tho.. You have to know which sponges are cryptic, which are photosynthetic. Try to look at the coralline, where the halimeda roots, etc etc. You might not do a perfect job of it, but it does help a little with die off if you are doing a lights up cycle.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about ordering 10 lbs of this shipped in water to start the bio of my dry rock.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ocean live rock, shipped fast, preferably in water, is the absolute best way to increase biodiversity in your tank. There's nothing like it.

It generally shouldn't be added directly to a tank that has other livestock, in case of die-off producing ammonia. Just put it in a container of clean saltwater, with some amount of light over it, and with at least one source of flow, until the ammonia stops showing up. Once it's no longer releasing more ammonia than the bacteria on it can process, it's ready to be put in your tank. Bonus: if it wasn't already, the tank is now cycled, thanks to all the bacteria living on the ocean rock.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean live rock, shipped fast, preferably in water, is the absolute best way to increase biodiversity in your tank. There's nothing like it.

It generally shouldn't be added directly to a tank that has other livestock, in case of die-off producing ammonia. Just put it in a container of clean saltwater, with some amount of light over it, and with at least one source of flow, until the ammonia stops showing up. Once it's no longer releasing more ammonia than the bacteria on it can process, it's ready to be put in your tank. Bonus: if it wasn't already, the tank is now cycled, thanks to all the bacteria living on the ocean rock.

My plan is to put it in the refugium while I am still working on the auquascape in the display tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless you can completely disconnect the fuge from the rest of the tank, that won't work. If ammonia shows up, it'll just go into the display tank. Now, if you don't yet have any livestock, that's not a problem.

All you really need for temporary holding/cycling is what's shown in this thread: a tank large enough to hold the rock without much cramming, flow, and some kind of light.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ordered on Monday and got it Thursday.
If you still have the tracking number from the box. You can see just how long the shipping really was. That might be helpful to others. If it was overnight shipping. The die off should be minimal.

DAniel559

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to seeing how this live rock looks in your display tank. :)

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all my rock from them also.
It was great and I had it flowen to me 170 lbs tons of life and really within a week it was cycled
Since TBS is out I went to them
Very happy with it. Here is a video the rock went in mid December.
Have a few corals and 1 blue throat trigger 1 flamehawk 5 yellowtail damsels.
Great stuff can't wait to see what yours looks like.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About gulfliverock.com ...

I want to mention that I'm a newbie and have no idea how much of this is dead. It was in shipping 2-3 days. This is my guess. I ordered it on Monday and it arrived Thursday.

It is obvious to me that it was great rock when it went into the box and can't blame anyone for die off during the shipping.

But I also want to mention for anyone thinking of ordering that there was no communication between gulfliverock.com and myself. I received a confirmation of order received the moment I paid. Then I heard nothing until the box showed up on the porch today.

I assumed it wasn't coming until next week since I never received a notice that it was sent or tracking number. Just keep that in mind. On that same note I did not reach out to them either. Maybe there would have been more info if I had but no guarantee.
I had a very similar experience. My one complaint would be that he does a very bad job at communicating. I initiated contact after a week. It took 2-3 emails on my end to receive one from him. Even then, it would take a few days for him to respond. Otherwise, rock looked nice.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video and comments.
Wish I can get LR of this quality in the UK.
1st and last time I orders LR shipped in ocean water was in 2007. The life on it was insane.
It’s still my LR in my current setup.

would love to inoculate my system again if given the chance.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny I went with Gulf Live Rock because he was the only one that did call me back. KP and another one never called back.
I guess it's just hit and miss.
I am surprised but never thought about it that you can't get it shipped to you from someone coastal.
Seems maybe like an opportunity for an enterprising person hah !

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all did some rearranging of my reservoirs and thought I'd share.
Here some 1yr cured (under 1x 24 watt cfl daylight lighting) Gulf Live Rock. These are the big pieces i couldnt fit on my shallow frag tables but have some much nicer smaller pieces with all kinds of corals, inverts, clams you name it growing in the tables. Ill try to get decent pictures of those and post them.
20210219_183240.jpg
20210219_183231.jpg
20210217_185801.jpg
20210217_185754.jpg
20210217_185625.jpg
20210216_180814.jpg
20210216_180757.jpg
20210214_102720.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very similar experience. My one complaint would be that he does a very bad job at communicating. I initiated contact after a week. It took 2-3 emails on my end to receive one from him. Even then, it would take a few days for him to respond. Otherwise, rock looked nice.
OMG - so true. sooooooooo true.

Mx51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny I went with Gulf Live Rock because he was the only one that did call me back. KP and another one never called back.
I guess it's just hit and miss.
I am surprised but never thought about it that you can't get it shipped to you from someone coastal.
Seems maybe like an opportunity for an enterprising person hah !
Where did you find and phone number for KP I can not find a number for them to save my life

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I was emailing them I don't remember.
I originally wanted Tampa Bay but they were out then I talked to rock n reef then called Gulf Live Rock.
So I must have emailed them

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find and phone number for KP I can not find a number for them to save my life

There is no phone number on my receipt or shipping info on my purchase from them.

hubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all did some rearranging of my reservoirs and thought I'd share.
Here some 1yr cured (under 1x 24 watt cfl daylight lighting) Gulf Live Rock. These are the big pieces i couldnt fit on my shallow frag tables but have some much nicer smaller pieces with all kinds of corals, inverts, clams you name it growing in the tables. Ill try to get decent pictures of those and post them.
20210219_183240.jpg
20210219_183231.jpg
20210217_185801.jpg
20210217_185754.jpg
20210217_185625.jpg
20210216_180814.jpg
20210216_180757.jpg
20210214_102720.jpg
:eek: Anyone else slightly arroused................................!

Back