Under $300 Par meter options Apex PMK vs Apogee SQ-420

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into par meters, wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge.

$300 Neptune PMK
Or
$234 USB Smart Quantum SQ-420 PAR Sensor - Apogee

The SQ-420 is just a sensor and a long cable that plugs into your computer.

Based on reviews I have ruled out the Seneye, but I do like the continuous monitoring. (As I understand it you have to pay for the app yearly to keep the par reading capability.)

I have an Apex so the PMK is a possibility.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on reviews I have ruled out the Seneye, but I do like the continuous monitoring. (As I understand it you have to pay for the app yearly to keep the par reading capability.)
Is that true? I thought the Seneye PAR didnt need any payment. You only need the slides that you need to buy monthly for Ammonia and PH.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that true? I thought the Seneye PAR didnt need any payment. You only need the slides that you need to buy monthly for Ammonia and PH.
I read somewhere they supposedly changed the policy because people were buying it to just do par. They are also some side-by-side comparisons with more well known PAR meters where they don't show accurate numbers but in BRS testing the Seneye did well.

Last edited:

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere they supposedly changed the policy because people were buying it to just do par. They are also some side-by-side comparisons with more well known PAR meters where they don't show accurate numbers but in BRS testing the Seneye did well.
That's really unfortunate. If I were king of Seneye, I would release just the PAR meter with a slightly lower price point (even $20 less or something) and add cosine correction. Instead of trying to scare off the market segment that buys it just for the PAR meter, embrace that market segment.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really unfortunate. If I were king of Seneye, I would release just the PAR meter with a slightly lower price point (even $20 less or something) and add cosine correction. Instead of trying to scare off the market segment that buys it just for the PAR meter, embrace that market segment.
They could probably sell a portable version for $200 with an extension and do well.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rented the Neptune PMK from the local fish shop for a week and am returning it tonight. It was really good knowledge to see exactly what PAR my lights were giving out, because it was much lower than I needed. I think the rock that it comes with is kind of dumb. The logging that it does in the neptune is nice, plus it was super easy to get going.

Probably going to rent it again once I make some more adjustments and get more corals, or might even buy the PMK. I also looked at the Apogee but didn't know about the software and how it would interface. The neptune is definitely pretty simple considering I already had the Apex system. Hope that helps.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hook method for joining wires is making a very small hook on the end of the two wires to be joined and then hooking them together before soldering. Supposedly making a stronger joint but I never had any problem with soldering the flat wire ends side by side although for something that would be repeatedly flexed it might be better.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back