Under The Mountain

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting my aquascape started, and have read various threads about what to put under rock to keep it from sitting directly on the glass or being pushed around to the point of collapse by the tank inhabitants. I like all those sand sifters!! After reading options like egg crate in full, or egg rate in small pieces and the thicker starboard options, I’d like to ask I’d anyone thinks a BPA free polypropylene kitchen cutting board that’s a quarter inch thick will work. The starboard was thicker than I wanted, so this seems like a viable option. It sits flat with no grooves, bends, or seams, so once the rock and sand are in place on it I can’t see how anything crazy could get under. Is there something I haven’t thought of that would prevent this from being an option? Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the picture shows. Old picture, now bare bottom.. all my rockwork is on feed, allows for easier cleaning under it. 4C85D581-BFD1-4EAE-BF77-CE0339F348CE.jpeg

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the picture shows. Old picture, now bare bottom.. all my rockwork is on feed, allows for easier cleaning under it. 4C85D581-BFD1-4EAE-BF77-CE0339F348CE.jpeg
Thank you! What did you use for feet? Did you have any sand sifters when you still had sand? Do you like the bare bottom?

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piece of life rock cut in half. Flat side to bottom. Aquaforrest cement. If you put the structure afterwards on plastic and put a dab of cement under the feet, it really smooths out well. I went bare bottom after Dino’s. Then my wife wanted Sand back (pucture), but my pumps mostly created a sandstorm. This may have been the only argument I ever won on my wify. So it’s Tangs and SPS. Never really went into wrasses, had a wonderful jawfish a long time back. It went for unauthorized carpet surfing despite a tight lid. Later I learned that one must also do research on temperature requirements.

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piece of life rock cut in half. Flat side to bottom. Aquaforrest cement. If you put the structure afterwards on plastic and put a dab of cement under the feet, it really smooths out well. I went bare bottom after Dino’s. Then my wife wanted Sand back (pucture), but my pumps mostly created a sandstorm. This may have been the only argument I ever won on my wify. So it’s Tangs and SPS. Never really went into wrasses, had a wonderful jawfish a long time back. It went for unauthorized carpet surfing despite a tight lid. Later I learned that one must also do research on temperature requirements.
Sorry to hear about your jawfish! Yeah, temp requirements are a big one I learned in freshwater. I felt pretty bad about some cleaners that got too warm after I adjusted my tank for discus.

Back