Understanding Flukes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 small Bellus Angels in my QT and today is day 29 of 2.16 copper power. I gave them the 1st dose of metro on day 25, 2nd dose of metro on day 27 so today would be the 1st dose of GC.

I looked at these beauties after work and the smaller one looked like it had some white spots on it's sides....I try to not flip out. I set up a FW dip hoping it's just flukes. The little one goes in and after 1:15 we noticed little white dots on the bottom of the bowl. We dipped the bigger one and noticed just a few white dots. I put them back in the tank and after getting their "feet" under them, they seemed to be okay. I checked back in 45 minutes and the little one's body looked significantly better.

These 2 fishies (Joker & Harley....my wife names the fish) showed zero signs of flukes but they did have this little juke yesterday where they would almost stutter slightly once in a while when swimming. Sorry for the long story....here's the question. Will doing my normal QT fluke treatment as above cause the flukes to be visible like this?

I did go ahead with the GC step of treatment tonight since they looked better. Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and we were looking at the bottom of the QT tonight and noticed a few little white dots on the side where the smaller one hangs out like maybe some fell off?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

It does sound like flukes. Have you noticed any scratching from either? I usually treat with prazi, but GC is also effective but needs to be dosed correctly.

@Jay Hemdal is the person we need to help

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the smaller one didn't make it overnight. Kind of at a loss as to the issue right now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I'm not sure what is going on. You normally cannot see flukes with the naked eye except for Neobenedenia, and those you only see after a 5 minutes FW dip - or if you look REALLY close, you may see one on a fish's eye. The smaller Gyrodactylid skin flukes and Dactylogyrid gill flukes are really too small to see directly without a microscope. I usually diagnose flukes from their secondary symptoms: flashing, darting, rough skin, frayed fins and then rapid breathing (cloudy eyes with Neobenedenia). So - I'm not sure what the white spots are that you saw.

I'm not sure, but the GC contains metronidazole as well, was the spacing of the metro and GC sufficiently far apart?

I know its too late, but I always give a freshly dead fish a skin scrape or diagnostic dip and look at it under a scope, just to see if I can find anything that could help treat the remaining fish.

Jay

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal

Now that you say that I am questioning my own situation. Not to hijack the thread. I have a new oranges shoulder that has been very doing well, looks clean, but scratching. I could swear I saw him dump a bunch of either sand or seed looking things from his gills Sunday. So I did a FW dip and did see some stuff after 5 min.

I was going to treat with prazi, but should I try GC and metro?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal

Now that you say that I am questioning my own situation. Not to hijack the thread. I have a new oranges shoulder that has been very doing well, looks clean, but scratching. I could swear I saw him dump a bunch of either sand or seed looking things from his gills Sunday. So I did a FW dip and did see some stuff after 5 min.

I was going to treat with prazi, but should I try GC and metro?

Thanks
I'm going to start promoting the idea that folks all buy a cheap microscope - I got one for my cell phone that cost $16 (grin).

I have no idea what could have been coming out of your fish's gills. Flukes really glom onto the fish, unless they are being dipped or medicated, they will not release the fish.

Don't treat GC and Metro together, they overlap. Prazipro is pretty well tolerated, and seems to work well, just increase the aeration when dosing it. GC by itself gives you prazi and metro at the same time.

Jay

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start promoting the idea that folks all buy a cheap microscope - I got one for my cell phone that cost $16 (grin).

I have no idea what could have been coming out of your fish's gills. Flukes really glom onto the fish, unless they are being dipped or medicated, they will not release the fish.

Don't treat GC and Metro together, they overlap. Prazipro is pretty well tolerated, and seems to work well, just increase the aeration when dosing it. GC by itself gives you prazi and metro at the same time.

Jay

Thanks,

I ordered a Kohler Labs electron microscope like you suggested:p. I treat with prazi since i am familiar with that.

Want to buy a lighty used microscope cheap when I am done?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I did put some of the white dots from the fw dip in a vial. I'll check them under my microscope this weekend

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.3%
Back