Underwater gems: What are the rewarding aspects of keeping invertebrates?

What are the rewarding aspects of keeping invertebrates?

• Attractive creatures

Votes: 162 48.5%
  • Biological diversity

Votes: 165 49.4%
  • Educational value

Votes: 84 25.1%
  • Improved coral health

Votes: 76 22.8%
  • Less tank maintenance

Votes: 139 41.6%
  • Observation of natural behavior

Votes: 150 44.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 192 57.5%
  • I don’t keep invertebrates in my tank

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Aquatic invertebrates cover a wide range of creatures includes clams, crabs, sea stars, shrimp, slugs, snails, worms, and so much more. Technically, corals and anemones also are invertebrates, but we tend to give them their own categories in the world of reef keeping. There are many rewarding and challenging aspects of adding invertebrates to your reef tank. Today let’s celebrate the rewards! Please share your thoughts about the rewarding aspects of keeping invertebrates in your tank.

Pro Tip: Whether you are selecting an invertebrate for its looks or its usefulness, make sure that you research the care and requirements to optimize its health. One resource is the R2R Saltwater Invert Discussion section where you will find sub-forums for general invertebrates, clams, and mantis shrimp.

PacificEastAq_TeardropClam.jpeg

Photo by @PacificEastAquaculture

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png
"100% premium aquacultured WYSIWYG corals."

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are slimy( yes, Trochus, I am talking about you), cryptic ( mantis), food thieves and they stare at me ( it’s you blue-legged), but I still like them!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquatic invertebrates cover a wide range of creatures includes clams, crabs, sea stars, shrimp, slugs, snails, worms, and so much more. Technically, corals and anemones also are invertebrates, but we tend to give them their own categories in the world of reef keeping. There are many rewarding and challenging aspects of adding invertebrates to your reef tank. Today let’s celebrate the rewards! Please share your thoughts about the rewarding aspects of keeping invertebrates in your tank.

Pro Tip: Whether you are selecting an invertebrate for its looks or its usefulness, make sure that you research the care and requirements to optimize its health. One resource is the R2R Saltwater Invert Discussion section where you will find sub-forums for general invertebrates, clams, and mantis shrimp.

I have two peppermint shrimp but mine are Lysmata Bogessi. I also have about a dozen hermit crabs and one emerald crab. I love them all. I don’t see any difference in maintenance. They are great CUC members. They clean my rock quite well and look awesome doing it. They’re fun to watch too.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on putting a good bit of inverts into my display once my levels of nitrate come down which I am working on adjusting to get just right. Im going to get probably 4 nasarius snails, a Tuxedo urchin, Im doing some shrimp for extra food and fish waste, and Im defiantly loading my tank with copepods, if I have bristle worms it won't bother me because they are good at cleaning up uneaten food. I have a lot of tangs and a Foxface and will be getting a flame angel so I feed my display super heavily so I defiantly need them to help with extra pieces of food and waste that occurs in a mostly tang tank.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails, shrimps and crabs are awesome for Tank cleaning, especially sand sifters.
Abalones and Urchins are great for algae, though can make a mess of your corals and rock work.
Clams look great and help to filter the water.
Anemone’s are just beautiful and the symbiotic relationship with some fish are great. My clowns love my Bubble Tips even more than I do.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adore my inverts. I have feather duster and coco worms. I have shrimp, nassarius snails, a hermit crab, an atlantic cucumber, and a multitude of micro stars. I love just watching them but I also love how they benefit the tank.

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have feather dusters, stars, astreas, Trochuses, emerald crabs, and red and blue legged hermit crabs. Would love to have a larger star like a chocolate chip, pistol shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a maxima clam. I love watching the blue legged hermit crabs.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TCKBanner.png
I want that clam! Anyone know what it is? Cool coloration.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to create an ecosystem and I like to have biological diversity in my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back