Undetectable Nitrates in IM Nuvo 10

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my IM nuvo 10 up and running for about 3 months now. It is stocked with one clown, a couple hermits and snails, and about 10 corals mixed between LPS and softie's. I have a fuge in the second chamber of bio media and chaeto and it is loaded with pods. The system has hit 0 nitrates about two weeks ago and they have stayed undetectable since then (using salifert and API test kit). I admit, I am a light feeder (twice a week for corals and maybe 3 times a week for the fish). The tank also could support another fish or two at least. Everything seems to be thriving and doing really well, but I am worried about 0 nitrates, as I would like to have something detectable in the system, around 3-5ppm ideally. Think I should up my feeding, ditch the fuge, or maybe increasing the bio load fish wise would actually be good for the system to get some more nutrients in the water column?

Again, everything is doing well, but trying to be precautionary about this, so wanted to get some thoughts from the forum. Thanks!

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! :) add a fish or two! Also adding an automatic feeder makes it easy to increase nitrates, just add an extra drum rotation to the schedule

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will come in time. I have a nuvo 10 as well and it took about 8 months before I had testable nitrates. I just have rock nems a damsel and snails in it. You could always dose but I was more worried about phos than nitrates.

OP
OP
J

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will come in time. I have a nuvo 10 as well and it took about 8 months before I had testable nitrates. I just have rock nems a damsel and snails in it. You could always dose but I was more worried about phos than nitrates.
Yeah, after researching I agree that it will come in time as I stock the tank more and things mature

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed a lot more... many feed twice a day or more. I'd start there.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind though, the more (excess) you put it now-the harder it will be to control them later. Personally if your fish are happy and you aren’t seeing any bacteria growth or receding corals-I wouldn’t worry about it. I worried much more about not having any phosphate than I did not having nitrates. They eventually came into a balance.

OP
OP
J

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to feed more of frozen or pellets/flakes would you say?

OP
OP
J

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind though, the more (excess) you put it now-the harder it will be to control them later. Personally if your fish are happy and you aren’t seeing any bacteria growth or receding corals-I wouldn’t worry about it. I worried much more about not having any phosphate than I did not having nitrates. They eventually came into a balance.
Yeah, since system is young, I agree things will find their balance as the tank matures. Not going to sweat it as much as I was. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

js_marra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second fish!

857C24EF-08A1-46A6-A56A-8C40235DF058.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back