Undetectable Nutrients but still have hair algae

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been trying to fight off hair algae for a few months now but I still have it all over. I can easily pull it off the rock than I could a few months ago but it's impossible to get it down all the way to the "roots". I've heard of people using hydrogen peroxide or kalk paste to get rid of hair algae. Would that work?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide could work if it is in fact green hair algae however if it's bryopsis probably won't work. You can try vibrant dosing and there is a thread on the forum for that or fluconazole treatment if it's bryopsis. First you have to determine what exactly it is. It does sound like bryopsis to me. I've had that for about 8 months now and about to start treating my tank with fluconazole when it arrives. Let me see if I can get the link to that thread for you

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide could work if it is in fact green hair algae however if it's bryopsis probably won't work. You can try vibrant dosing and there is a thread on the forum for that or fluconazole treatment if it's bryopsis. First you have to determine what exactly it is. It does sound like bryopsis to me. I've had that for about 8 months now and about to start treating my tank with fluconazole when it arrives. Let me see if I can get the link to that thread for you
Thanks for linking the threads. I am sure it is indeed GHA as I have had bryopsis before.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for linking the threads. I am sure it is indeed GHA as I have had bryopsis before.
Great then h202 should kill it :) put some in a bowl with a little water and a splash of h202. If it turns white then h202 will kill that strain. Good luck!

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of test kits are you using and what are you testing
Using salifert for nitrate and phosphate
Edit: I have also double checked the nitrate with a red sea test kit and getting no readings. I am thinking of switching over to the Nyos test kits for these 2 parameters as they test for lower range and easier to read as well

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great then h202 should kill it :) put some in a bowl with a little water and a splash of h202. If it turns white then h202 will kill that strain. Good luck!
What is the rule for spot treating inside the aquarium with hydrogen peroxide? Cause I can't take out the rocks in my tank

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the rule for spot treating inside the aquarium with hydrogen peroxide? Cause I can't take out the rocks in my tank
I've dosed 5ml x 10g daily. However it is more effective if you squirt the dose directly on the hair algae with flow turned off for a few minutes. Don't use more than your tanks daily allowance. That's been my experience someone else may have different ideas.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights go on at 7:20 a.m.
Lights go off at 5:20 p.m

How intense are they? Or just put the deets on your lights.
Asking because I had a similar issue, params all good, LFS tested as well as me, different brand testing.
Do you have a photo of issue?

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How intense are they? Or just put the deets on your lights.
Asking because I had a similar issue, params all good, LFS tested as well as me, different brand testing.
Do you have a photo of issue?
165w Chinese black box led's. 65% whites. 77% blues. 15 inches above the water.
I ran this same light on a former 10g Reef I had at 100% blues and whites with no algae issues whatsoever

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 8-12 inches

Bring down your white intensity. I have the same exact lights on my 55g 48" long. Mine are 13 1/2" above water level, brightest time 100% blue 40% white. I have no algae whatsoever. I use to have the same exact issue. My solution was turning the whites down for sure. I have rock work 6" below water level. These lights are powerful, especially the whites!

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
165w Chinese black box led's. 65% whites. 77% blues. 15 inches above the water.
I ran this same light on a former 10g Reef I had at 100% blues and whites with no algae issues whatsoever

100% whites?? Are you sure??
I mean no disrespect my friend, but they must have been 3ft above water level lol. Especially on a 10g.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back