Undetectable Nutrients but still have hair algae

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New clean up crew will help since everything is brand new to them.... but place them directly on the algae.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry we talk to a lot of adults here who don't know what bryopsis is. Its best to double check.

Id get a bigger tooth brush and a bunch more snails.

Yea I get it. What about blue leg hermits? I've heard that those are good for hair algae

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I get it. What about blue leg hermits? I've heard that those are good for hair algae
It looked like you have some, I personally dont like too many crabs. when they run out of food they eat anything.
I have a coral quarantine tank with only snails, I can drop a small rock or frag in and its mostly clean the next morning.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a buddy that had some like that, kinda like hair algae. Terrible to try and pull off and when you try to scrub it, kind of just makes it worse haha. Unfortunately you have let it get too bad. I'm sorry, no disrespect. Best thing to do is remove what rock you can and clean in a separate container. You can't leave the lights off long enough to kill it. And you can't try a crazy spot vinegar shot or whatever cause it everywhere.
Scrubbing the bulk of it off, water changes and h202 dosing works best imo for hair algae. Better if you can soak the rock in it but there's too many corals attached. However they can be dipped ;)

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like you have some, I personally dont like too many crabs. when they run out of food they eat anything.
I have a coral quarantine tank with only snails, I can drop a small rock or frag in and its mostly clean the next morning.

I just have a few dwarf red legged hermits

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing the bulk of it off, water changes and h202 dosing works best imo for hair algae. Better if you can soak the rock in it but there's too many corals attached. However they can be dipped ;)
Im a scrub and snail guy myself;)
If the rock can come out I do like the peroxide dip.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a scrub and snail guy myself;)
If the rock can come out I do like the peroxide dip.
I I had a 150 gallon green hair algae Forest years back... I removed all the corals off the rocks and soak those rocks overnight in five gallon buckets filled with Rodi and a bottle each of hydrogen peroxide. Needless to say they killed the algae and never ever came back LOL. However this was my final battle and I have had enough by this point.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I had a 150 gallon green hair algae Forest years back... I removed all the corals off the rocks and soak those rocks overnight in five gallon buckets filled with Rodi and a bottle each of hydrogen peroxide. Needless to say they killed the algae and never ever came back LOL. However this was my final battle and I have had enough by this point.
Sometimes its best to pull out the big guns.....

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought trochus ate only film algae. I kinda don't want to get scarlets due to the size they get
I have about 30 trochus who eat whatever grows on the rock with exception of cyano and bryopsis. Plus they can rite themselves. Yes Scarlets do get large but are harmless unlike blue legs who think astreas are a tasty meal lol. You can also get red legs. Same as Scarlets but don't get as big.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to do that with my Astaeas but they always end back up ok the glass

In my experience, new astreas will eat the algae cause it's new, but after a week or so they move on. Just get a new clean up crew if you don't want to scrub or remove rock.
If it were me, I'd go grab a big ol hermit from the beach and let him do work but gotta watch him cause they will try to munch coral.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great then h202 should kill it :) put some in a bowl with a little water and a splash of h202. If it turns white then h202 will kill that strain. Good luck!

How long will it take to turn white? I am going to be manually removing a little today. If in fact it turns white, what's safe methods of target dosing H2o2?

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just get a fox face rabbitfish and it will be gone on days. My corals come with green algae on them ans within a day they are bone dry of it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back