Unexplained deaths...

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to find that one of my fishes dead. No obvious reason I could find - the only slight clue was that both crabs were on top of it. I suspect that's a "food available" thing more than the perpetrators...
Strange thing is; this happened the other day as well. This time it was my coral beauty; last time it was an anthias. All fish and corals in the tank were fully QT'ed, all eating well, no excessive bullying that I've observed. Nothing about the tank hast changed in months. I just did a water change a few days ago, but nothing about that was uncommon.

I didn't have time to diagnose the last fish, but this one I put into a FW dip (black-background pics):
IMG_3187.jpg
IMG_3188.jpg
IMG_3190.jpg
IMG_3191.jpg

Anybody see anything? All other fish in the DT are doing fine; no abnormal behavior at all. Could it really be that the crabs somehow caught two fish? :-?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the very first picture it looks like there are some missing or damaged scales. Are you sure there aren't any predatory crabs or other hitchhiker in your tank?

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two hermits in the tank. First one is in a shell that is about 2" in length. Second is closer to 1.5" shell. They've both been in there for some time, but have (at some point since initial introduction) swapped into a new shell. So - growing, I guess?
They are both Halloweens, so... perhaps it's them? :-\

IMG_3192.jpg
IMG_3193.jpg

(Fun fact: The frag plug in the second picture was "firmly" pushed into a rock hole (but not glued) a few minutes ago...

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure there aren't any predatory crabs or other hitchhiker in your tank?
The two above seem likely culprits...
To be fair; I'm not sure how long the fish was dead for. I can't specifically recall seeing it feed this morning, but I was having a crazy day and didn't look for it either. I found it in the front-corner of the tank when I got home. Could be (in other words) that the scales came off after the death. Perhaps....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DLHDesign Most crabs become predatory as they grow, oftentimes ambushing fish as they sleep. It’s just in their nature. Personally, I’d get rid of them or sump them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like very small crabs... I’d be surprised if they killed a CB angel, but I could be wrong. I have a giant crab the size of my thumb in my tank and I’ve had him for about a decade and I’ve never seen him eat any fish, or had any strange disappearances but I don’t know what type of crab nor do I know my crabs well, in fairness.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back